• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle Autolocker?

John Thompson

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all! I just registered; it's great to find a forum dedicated to the Cherokee! I have a 2000 with the factory limited-slip rear axle. So far, the vehicle is not modified in any way. I've read that installing a Detroit Locker in the front axle results in a good combination with the rear limited-slip for occasional off-roading, and which doesn't affect highway driveability in 2WD. What I'm curious about is whether this combination works safely for winter driving in 4WD, particularly on sharp curves when the road surface may be snowy or icey. When cornering under power (so that the front autolocker is locked), is this likely to cause one or both of the front tires of the vehicle to lose steering traction and therefore allow the front end to slide to the outside of the curve? Would a limited-slip, like the Detroit Tru-Trac, be a better choice? Thanks in advance!

John Thompson

Front lockers and snow on the street don't mix imo.....yes it can lead to loss of control and yes a limited slip would be better in snow on the road.

Back