• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 limited tps

woodironman

NAXJA Forum User
hi all just going to get a tps for my 92 limited and just wondering if it has to be adjusted or just bolted on i know some early years have to be adjusted but not sure which they are. if so what are the volt readings i'll need thanks.

ps i did a search but could only find infomation on tps on renex

mark

woodironman said:
hi all just going to get a tps for my 92 limited and just wondering if it has to be adjusted or just bolted on i know some early years have to be adjusted but not sure which they are. if so what are the volt readings i'll need thanks.

ps i did a search but could only find infomation on tps on renex

mark

92 should not be Renix and shouldn't need adjustment - at least from memory.

I think this forum doesn't search 3 letter words, correct? Try "throttle position sensor" and see what you hit.

No adjustment needed on H.O. engines.

You should be getting 500mv at closed throttle, and 4.5V at open throttle.

That still does not mean it is good. You really need a lab scope to check for a smooth line from open to closed throttle.

i just replaced mine in my 90 and still getting a high idel when i put it into neutral or park and idles about 2k and in gear idles about 1k. what else should i be looking for or do i just need to adjust my TPS?

Smittty9785 said:
i just replaced mine in my 90 and still getting a high idel when i put it into neutral or park and idles about 2k and in gear idles about 1k. what else should i be looking for or do i just need to adjust my TPS?

Learn everything you can about IAC...

so your saying i should replace the IAC?

Smittty9785 said:

On a 90 you need to adjust the TPS.

For an 87-90 4.0:

Test is done with throttle closed, connectors connected, ignition on, engine off. Insert probes through back of connectors to make readings. Use a high impedance meter. Adjust TPS by loosening mounting screws and turning in mount.

For manual connect + probe to terminal A, and - to B. Take a reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts but probably lower. Note the reading well. Now move the positive probe to terminal C. The reading should be 16 percent of the previous reading.

For Automatic, use the square, 4-terminal plug. Connect probe + to terminal A, and - to D. Note reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts. Now move probe + to terminal B. This reading should be 82 % of the first.

thanks

Back