• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how to get the electircal connector off a fuel pump? The pump is still in the tank because im trying to replace the tank. Its an 87 4.0

When I replaced the pump on my 87 years ago, there were two connexions to worry about...

External - a three-pole Delphi Weatherpack that was retained with a simple clip. No trouble there.

Internal - two ring connexions to the pump proper, which required a Phillips screwdriver to remove. Simple.

You should not have to remove the tank to get the pump loose - the access port is, as I recall, centre forward about 2/3 of the way up the face of the tank. I'd just remove that first, then drop the tank. Secure in the replacement, and then reinstall the 'stinger' for the fuel pump and sending unit - that way, you won't have to mess with the hose connexions... You shouldn't even have to disconnect the electrics that way, either.

NOTE - Use a BRASS drift or a BRASS, LEAD, WOOD, or other non-sparking hammer. An empty fuel tank is more dangerous than a full one, and you'd REALLY rather not have any sparks down there... Using a steel hammer or drift is a good way to get sparks...

thank you i got it off after i looked a little harder and finally got my tank off. Tommorw will be cleaning up the straps and puting the tank in.

Back