• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Staling and lose of fuel on bumps

dabeersboys

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.
Its an 1987 Jeep XJ Pioneer. 4.0
any ways when we drive with out really letting it war up it stalls. and takes for ever and then from then on it will stall intermittetly. also when we drive we'll hit a small bump in the road it feels like it wasn't getting fuel. TPS is new and in tight. What could the be? Fuel Pump going bad?
Thanks In advance.
-Matt

I've heard of some problems when the CPS wire is not correctly routed, and hits the exhaust manifold. At least worth a look. My 87 cut out on really bad bumps when I first got it, and what cured it for me was to secure the wiring harness for the fuel pump so that it didn't flop around. I've never been sure whether there was a defect in the wires or what, but it seems when the axle hit it, it would cut out. Once I tied it up with a couple of cable ties, it never did it again.

But I would suggest a good look at the fuel pump too. Make sure the filter is all right, and it might be a good idea to check the pressure.

If slow to warm-up check/replace thermostat. CPS connector, especially that vintage, is very flaky and I found it's just best to remove connector entirely, splice the wires and keep it all away from the exhaust. Makes it harder to exchange CPS but the sensor itself rarely fails unless physically damaged so for me, it was worth the trouble to fix my XJ stalling when crossing RR tracks or other rough surfaces.

You could have a fuel problem too or any number of things so these are only ideas and not complete diagnoses.

OK whats happened so far.
I replaced the fuel filter and now it doesn't act like it cuts out on bumps even big bumps. the TPS was replaced in november and looked like it was routed really neatly. When it stalls its not bogging down or anything it just shuts off. On turns and on straight aways occasionally it will act like no gas for just a second. alomost like you let off the gas pedal for a half second and floored it. Don't know what to do?
Any more ideas?

My issue seems to have been resolved...

I used zip-ties to secure all the wiring in the engine bay. I focused in the CPS wire and harness and made sure it would not touch the exhaust manifold. Thanks.

Check your grounds.

Back