• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$12 Homebrew Front Swaybar Disco Writeup *Pics*

lost honda pro

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I've had my '97 XJ Country for almost two weeks, and while I am the usual broke college student, I still want to change stuff, and articulation is always a good thing to have, so I started doing some reasearch...

These sites had some great info, so I'm not pretending I thought this up myself, but I did manage to make a little combo of everything that I think turned out pretty good.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/homediscos.html
http://www.capitaljeeps.com/xjtech/discos/swaybardisco.shtml
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345039&highlight=swaybar+disconnects
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851

Alright, now to the write up (pics for each step follow the description):

1) First thing is to pull of the old rusty hardware... Mine was a 17mm on the top of the end links, and 18mm on the bottom... This is what the hardware looks like, less the end link bushings, as I re-used them and they are on the vehicle. The red line is hardware from the top, blue line is bottom hardware.

1.jpg

2) I also wanted to get an extra set of the OE size hardware, in case push came to shove and I needed to replace everything, so I went to Ace Hardware and got new washers, lock washers, and nuts (the top nut is M10 x 1.5, bottom is M12 x 1.75)

2.jpg

3.jpg

3) Next, I test fitted the wing nuts on the top and bottom. They were matching M10 x 1.5 up top, and M12 x 1.75 below. Turns out the axle side of the steering stabilizer bracket was too close to the end link bolt, so I had to trim the (passenger side only) wing nut with a Dremel. (Below is trimming the wing nut, and how it fit afterword)

4.jpg

5.jpg

4) Now I put on the wing nuts with the end links in place to mock up where the ideal hitch pin holes would be. Yellow dots/lines indicate where I decided to put em. I used a Ace brand bit for hardened steel, and it went through like a hot knife... I decided to use a 3/32" so there would be plenty of bolt still there.

6.jpg

7.jpg

5) I was going to use a lock washer on the top of the end link, but when I tried unscrewing it, the split dug into the other washer, and the wing nut, so that idea was out...

8.jpg

6) Drilled the hole in the lower bolt using the 3/32" bit referenced above. Hardest part is starting it, then just make sure it goes in straight and centered....

9.jpg

7) Then the top of the end link... Used the same bit and tried to stay true ( a press would have been nice )

10.jpg

8) Then I took my wire brush attachment on the Dremel, cleaned up the loose bits of metal, then ran the new hardware over the drilled area, to make sure nothing would snag... It was a little tight the first time, but spun freely afterwards.

11.jpg

9) Then just mount 'em up! Mine fit a little tight on top, so I suggest you give a little extra space if possible.

12.jpg

13.jpg

10) Price breakdown:

(2) OE replacement M10 x 1.50 nuts - $0.60
(2) M10 lock/split washers - $0.26
(2) OE replacement M12 x 1.75 nuts - $1.40
(2) M12 washers - $0.24
(2) M12 lock/split washers - $0.30
(2) M10 x 1.50 wing nuts - $1.30
(2) M12 x 1.75 wing nuts - $2.68
(4) 3/32" x 1 5/8" hitch pins (two spares) - $0.80
(4) 3/32" x 2 5/16" hitch pins (two spares) - $0.68
(1) 3/32" carbite (for hardened steel) bit - $2.99

I also chose to replace the bushings with some Prothane replacements:
(1) set of 8 bushings (for F & R) - $11.99

11) Drove it around the block, went over some speed bumps, my driveway is pretty rough, and it felt 100% stock, so I don't have any concerns for the time being. I will be carrying the spare hardware with me, however, along with some pliers for the hitch pins. You might also want some WD-40 to spray off the threads after some mud/trail running. I was thinking about using the clevis pins, but I didn't like the idea of it flapping around, so utilizing the stock bolts ended up working out.

Please let me know if you have any revisions/typos/websites to include. Hope it was helpful to some broke stocker Jeepers like me...

Disclaimer: The information here is presented to the best of my knowledge. All information given is as accurate as possible, but may not apply to your specific vehicle. I am not liable for any damage or injury resulting from use of information or procedures on this page. Please use all proper safety equipment and practices when working on your vehicle.

Yup, works great and you can weld in a piece of rod to extend them when you lift your rig for another $1.00.

nice write-up. I did much of the same thing but swaped the bottom for a pin and in place of the lock washers I added rubber washers. I didn't want to drill for a cotter on top. I also lengthened mine and made them adjustable with a section of threaded rod if I change height or want to adjust at all. Again nice job and great pics.

you said you nixed using the lock washer because it dug into the washer and into the wing nut, but that is how they work, they resist the fastener coming loose because they dig into the fasteners.

otherwise i like it alot

XJEEPER - believe me, once i get the welder, im gonna have some serious adjustable $20 homebrew discos....

CHUGLYxj - thanks, and like i referenced at the top, the tine/clevis pin idea is good, but i liked how sturdy the OE lower bolts was, so i just worked around it.

TheBlackSheep - didnt turn out that good? :D

jeeptorino68 - yes, the lock washer dug into the washer one the bottom and the wing nut on top. i am well aware of the principles of spring constants and how that concept is utilized to keep a nut on under vibrations, however, being as how wing nuts are generally (and these are) thinner than normal nuts (lower # of threads) i worried that with repeated on- and off-screwing, the structural integrity of both the wing nut and washer would be compromised, along with the fact that they wouldnt last very long, and i would get metal bits floating around.

plus, the hitch pin holds the wing nut in there just as well, and its easier to unscrew. hence, no split washer.

bigolexj - thats what ive heard, and hence, me not doing it :D plus, like i said above, this way you dont have a not-so-tightly-fitting clevis pin flopping around.

thanks for the comments guys!

lost honda pro said:
These sites had some great info, so I'm not pretending I thought this up myself, but I did manage to make a little combo of everything that I think turned out pretty good.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851

Wow, my 9 year old tech article is still online... I wrote that back in 1998 shortly after getting into the XJ scene. :yelclap:

It's amazing how time flies...

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF said:
Wow, my 9 year old tech article is still online... I wrote that back in 1998 shortly after getting into the XJ scene. :yelclap:

It's amazing how time flies...

Later,
Joe

thats kinda crazy... i was 13 then...

still using those clevis pins? :D

No, unfortunately my brother in law wrecked that jeep about a year after that article was written (drove it through a brick wall). It wasn't mine, it was his mom's Jeep.

The disconnects then went on another Jeep I had for another three years until I sold it. There were never any strength issues with them bending or breaking.

I don't have an XJ even remotely stock appearing at this point so it doesn't do me any good, but I'm glad to see other people finding my article useful.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF said:
The disconnects then went on another Jeep I had for another three years until I sold it. There were never any strength issues with them bending or breaking.

You mean those clevis pins held up for 4 years? Or the endlinks themselves?

While I like my setup, clevis pins on the bottom would negate having to unhook the top, and then I could just swing the whole thing out of the way...

Yes, all of the hardware in my original article held up with no issues for 4 years and that included going through the brick wall (which bent the upper and lower control arms on the right side of that silver XJ).

Later,
Joe

Wow... I'm gonna have to break down and get some clevis pins then...

I was always afraid that the increased slop, due to the lack of a spline OE bolt would eat up hardware real fast... oh well. I'm wrong. I'll amend the thread with my clevis pins this w/e.

Thanks again Joe, appreciate the info!

Tim

TheBlackSheep said:
i did mine for free i pulled it out and threw it in the trash :D

yeah dude you wasted 12 bux you could've got a case of BL

Back