• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Survey on trannys....

MDSIDMAN

NAXJA Forum User
OK. Got a 92 5sp with a 4.0 and 4.10s. Thinking about getting an auto. Want some opinions on who's got what, what they don't like about either. What are the wheeling strongpoints about either? I got a killer deal on the 5spd that I couldn't pass up at the time but kinda wanted an auto to begin with. Conversion is an overpriced option when I could just buy another jeep.

I 've got an auto for the first time in a jeep and I hate it off road. Seems like I am allways on the breaks and really miss the solid feeling of having the tires locked to the engine. Some say an auto is like a vacation but I would not recommend an auto transmission for off road. My opinion is different from what I have heard from some others but I don't like the auto on hills.

I love my auto, nothing to worry about when starting from a dead stop on hills, I do probably use the brakes more than I would with the manual in my MJ, but thats usual with all manual vs auto situations.But Remember: you burn up clutchs, not torque converters.

My ax-15 is nearing the end of it's life. I am going to put a NSG370 in it. I'll have to machine a hole for the CPS, but that is not as hard as people make it out to be. Novak does it for removable bellhousings (ie.. hooking a np435 to a 4.0).

If you want an auto, the aw4 is a great transmission. Electronics can be a pain in the rear though. 700r4's are cheap, easy to build strong and do not need a computer. Just food for thought.

if you spend any time in the rocks auto is the option IMHO.

i drove a 5 speed 33" 3.07s open/open at jv a few weeks ago and it was the worst time of my life.

The AW4 automatic is quite a good transmission. It shifts quickly and firmly. Not that sloppy hangtime between shifts that a lot of trannies have.

The auto is much easier on the XJ's stock drivetrain, meaning all the parts after the tranny will have an easier time. (t case, driveshafts/ujoints, and definitely the axles)

My XJ is an auto and I had a 91 Toy with a 5-speed. I really like the auto better, I have wheeled a friends 5-speed XJ before and still like the auto. If we were stuck with some shitbox chysler trans it might be a different story. However I really like the ratios, firm shifts, and overall function of the AW4. Never have I driven an auto that always seemed to know the correct gear to be in. On the street there is never a need to work it manually with the shifter, it will be in gear it needs to be in when it needs to be in it. On the trail this is not always true but I seldom pull the shifter from drive unless I do not want it shifting on a long climb etc.

I have a 5 speed in mine and I'm currently saving to change over to an auto. While the 4:56 gears push the 33's nice on the highway it gets to be a pain on the trail. Last big trip I wore out my feet from playing with the clutch and throttle so much. As soon as I have the money bye bye five speed!

Heads up for all the people ditching your AX-15's.... eBay/craigslist: you could probably get what you paid for the Auto.

i like the worry free times with the manual, but got spoiled not having to worry about the 3rd pedal when using my auto AW4. i'm thinking about converting my XJ to a AX15 though, because for some reason i keep frying AW4's everytime i go out on major difficult trails. i just went through 2 trannies in 4 weeks. even after adding the aux cooler. i'm gonna try a couple more things, and if i fry 2 more trannies, then i'm going back to a manual.

i like my 5 speed, it reminds me of a friend in high school that was dropping acid for the first time and learning to drive stick in a 95 tj, he said .and i quote" it feels like my arm is reaching into the transmission and doing exactly what i want, .....i like having that sort of control on my jeep, plus steep, technical pacific northwest trails are ideal for my 3550=-brian

Aw4 is the way too go,I,m running 35" with 4:88 and have had no problems,Install a tran temp gauge,The Aw4 only problem is heat.Jeep says around 190 is best,220 is ok,250 is to hot.We play on the rocks in upper mich all year and i average 200.

I miss the 5speed for the street, its just more fun to drive.
For the trail, no question I love my AW4. I used to HATE working the clutch on my old YJ when wheeling...so much so I kind of got fed up with wheelin it...now with the AW4 in my XJ its a breeze. With 33's and open/open 3.55's the only time the AW4 shifts alot is on the highway on an incline at about 120kph/115kph.

MDSIDMAN said:
Wow, sounds like everyone likes the auto and not so much the manual.
Its just 'cause we all have lazy feet.

MDSIDMAN said:
Must be why they are hard to find.
That's just 'cause you have lazy feet!

Swapping a manual into an auto XJ is much easier that swapping an auto into a manual XJ, the wiring is a pain.

Back