• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper shock mount bar pin: grrrrrr

PAXJRUNNER

NAXJA Forum User
First it was the last lug nut on the rear tire

and Second

while removing the shocks, the damn bolt head on the bar pin came right off even after douching it 20x with PB-blaster.

Do you guys recommend "EZ out" or just drilling it and go with a
a bar eliminator system.

just trying to make up my mind here at work to prepare for tonights drama.
:)

Stay away from EZ-outs! Before I knew any better, I wound up breaking one off in a D35c housing in an attempt to remove a cross-threaded differential cover bolt. You are better off drilling the damned bolt out and trying to clean up the threads with a tap. Good luck!

Sorry hear about that diff bolt.

yeah, I was thinking about that & i'll
prob end up drilling it out and doing a bolt and locknut from
the interior.

Last edited:
You can also use your rear sway bar brackets that are located on the ubolt plate if you still have them. They make a great shock mount that doesn't have to be removed when you take the shocks off. Just one bolt does it all to remove the shocks. I did the drill through the rear floor and go water inside from it which led to rust. So I don't like that idea. There is just enough room to get some bolts started or use self tappers to get it on. Juice

juicexj24 said:
You can also use your rear sway bar brackets that are located on the ubolt plate if you still have them. They make a great shock mount that doesn't have to be removed when you take the shocks off. Just one bolt does it all to remove the shocks. I did the drill through the rear floor and go water inside from it which led to rust. So I don't like that idea. There is just enough room to get some bolts started or use self tappers to get it on. Juice

Now there is an idea! Those sway bar brackets have like 2" of dust on them from sitting in the garage for so long.

Hoping the lift will be in next week so I can have some time
to prepare for this install.

hey, do you run with a local 4x4 club anywere?

NAC and Blue Mt. Jeep Alliance. I haven't gotten out with work, wedding and all that stuff. Sept 12-14 there is going to be a run open to NAC at Paragon. PM me. Juice

juicexj24 said:
You can also use your rear sway bar brackets that are located on the ubolt plate if you still have them. They make a great shock mount that doesn't have to be removed when you take the shocks off.

well... it's not necessarily best idea as it rotates the shock mount by 90 degrees thus they swivel in the other direction and it could be easier to bend them when articulating/drooping..... I ended up making my own from 1/4" steel

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
well... it's not necessarily best idea as it rotates the shock mount by 90 degrees thus they swivel in the other direction and it could be easier to bend them when articulating/drooping..... I ended up making my own from 1/4" steel

Kejtar

not if ya rotate them 90* and weld them on ;)

juicexj24 said:
You can also use your rear sway bar brackets that are located on the ubolt plate if you still have them. They make a great shock mount that doesn't have to be removed when you take the shocks off. Just one bolt does it all to remove the shocks.

This works okay for street use, but it changes the orientation of the upper shock mount 90 degrees, and can bind up and/or break when the rear axle is severely articulated. For most of us on these boards, this is not a very good idea.

I don't run the sway bar bracket on mine, I just gave out the idea. I use the JKS bar pin's on mine. Just a quick way to fix the problem without going through the floor. I'm sure many people on this board have used it and not had problems. Again just an idea. Juice

thanks for all the info here.

I decided last night on fabricating the bar pin system using mild steel (round and square stock). I figure this will hold up the best for both streets and trails.

Back