• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission temp gauge and sensor?

LABMBA87

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe I didn't look hard enough, and feel free to tell me, but WHERE THE HELL IS A WRITE UP ON THIS? The install for the sensor and the gauge? Where is it?? I bypassed my my rad cooler when I swapped rad's and now i think i need a trans cooler, and gauge. Any ideas?

Alright, got my gauges today, and I was wondering if there is a way to moung this sending unit in the transmission. I don't want an erronous reading from the cooler where it could be 15 degrees cooler or in the line where it could be warmer. Just curious if anyone has done this in the transmission itself?

Anybody put the sensor in the transmission pan for the trans temp sensor? just curious? Tap out the side of the pan and mount the sensor?:helpme:

I added a filter block that is ported for the sensor. Made install a snap. Sourced from summitt.
As for which line, you looking to monitor the temp all the time or have a high temp indication to tell you when to ease up on the poor AW-4. I installed in the return line, if it's above 180, I give it a rest. However that has only happened once when running in drive on the green trails at Paragon.

LABMBA87 said:
Anybody put the sensor in the transmission pan for the trans temp sensor? just curious? Tap out the side of the pan and mount the sensor?:helpme:

It's possible, my autometer came with a sensor and mount for that. Personally I am going to buy a B&M gauge to rob the fittings (couldn't find compression fittings in the right size locally). I really have no interest in getting the autometer plug brazed into the pan. If thats the route you want to go though, let me know. We can probably swap fittings, assuming you picked up the B&M gauge.

P1010002.jpg

Last edited:
i mounted my tranny temp gauge between dash and A-pillar with pedestal pod and the sensor in the front left corner of the pan just clears so check twice drill once then if you use copper fitings or whatever just braise it in and then drill a hole in tranny hump for tube to go to gauge watch for wires unde rthe carpet i nicked mine causeing me to look like an idiot at the electrical shop (mounting locations will also depend if your gauge is mechanical or electric) ill post pics tomorrow

I installed mine in the center console (2 1/16" Autometer), right in front of the transfer case lever on the slightly inclined part. The sensor is going on the pump to cooler line with a custom aluminium fitting. Also, i'll be adding a sensor on the engine oil cooler line to switch the gauge between the motor oil and tranny oil sensor. Don't have pics yet (and I still cant post them...) but will have them soon.

91Jeep,
I did buy the auto-meter. Can someone give me a rundown of how to tap the pan out and how to braze the sensor in? Not sure. As for the mount, I went with the A-pillar pod.

Back