• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Axle seal question

four_shot

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I tried to search previous posts and couldn't find an answer. I have an '84 D30 (disco axle). I'm replacing the seals. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell what size the R/H seal is. NAPA is listing 2 outer diameters for it.

Being in the disco housing, I was wondering what to use to measure it.

What I'd really like to know is if there was an easy tell tale way to figure out whether I have the "big" or "little" seal.....lol

Just to reiterate, I'm referring to the seal in the disco housing.:helpme:

The axle tube has a production number on it on the front of the Longer tube. Take a wire wheel to it. It should start with a 6. That gives you all the info about the axle you would need. Take it to a parts place that sells spicer parts and they can hook you up.
If you still haven't got a number by Saturday, I'm picking up mine which is out of an 84 w/disco and I just had the seals replaced along with everything else to replace the one in mine I just broke and I can get the part numbers off the boxes.

If the numbers dont tell you which seal you need, you can probably pull the disco cover and measure it.

I just checked all my references, and from what I can see, the earlier housings up to about 1987 used the larger outer diameter seal, jeep part 8350 0199, chicago rawhide 16083 ( there is only one listing for the CV shaft disco housing which is this one) The later ones only have reference to the smaller diameter seal jeep 8350 3504, CR 15843. If I was you , I would buy both, with the intention of returning the one you don't use

update...I just knuckled down and pulled the old one out and measured it. turns out you guys were right it was the big one....thanks for the help.

Back