• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disadvantage of shackles??

dirt nugget

NAXJA Forum User
Im working on putting together a budget lift for a 96'..

It seems that all the budget lifts ive come across, are running an AAL style rear for the extra boost while the front is either just a spacer or a longer coil plus a spacer such as the ZJ springs.

Im just curious to hear the advantages and disadvantages of running a lift shackle for as a "hold me over" lift on a daily driver who'll see weekend fun and why I dont see this used by others.

What are the negetive effects?

91 Jeep Project said:
It will flatten out/invert a stock leaf pack in a hurry.

So is this an issue with only stock springs? ie. low spring rates/ mild arch?

Or would a high rate/ more arched (more lift) spring have the same symptoms?

Are their any alignment/ drivetrian alignment issues with shackles that are specific to shackles?

Just trying to learn.

dirt nugget said:
So is this an issue with only stock springs? ie. low spring rates/ mild arch?

Or would a high rate/ more arched (more lift) spring have the same symptoms?

Are their any alignment/ drivetrian alignment issues with shackles that are specific to shackles?

Just trying to learn.

Just stock springs for the most part. A longer shackle will sag a lift spring some. But not to the extent of what it'll do to a stock pack. They are good to use with lift springs as they increase articulation.

The biggest trouble with shackle only lifts is most people will go for the longest possible. Because shackles are only changing the axle to frame relationship at one end. They must be twice as long as the desired lift. IE factory XJ shackle is 3" eye to eye. So say a 5" eye to eye shackle will net you about 1" of lift, get it?

Also the longer they are the more leverage they have so the faster the will re-arch your spring. This is accelorated on used springs simply becasuse they have miles on them and are not as "strong" or better yet...resiliant as new springs.

If a new set of springs is in order fairly soon what difference does it make...throw them in and enjoy your Jeep!!!

CW

cwlongshot said:
If a new set of springs is in order fairly soon what difference does it make...throw them in and enjoy your Jeep!!!

CW

That a whole other issue..on whats going to come after the budget lift...

How would the shackles work with an AAL setup? Since theyre still stock springs just with a helper? Would the new helper spring alone be enough to combat the leverage from the shackles?

Say if i went with this set up for now...what would i progress to next? (fill in the question marks)

Note: I know other upgrades would be required to keep the driveline angles in order and new shocks, brakelines...but for now im just curious as to the lift options later down the road if i start with this setup.

Now
1~" longer front + spacer OR 2" longer coil
2" increase rear shackle

Future
Front:?? (just 4-5" lift coil?..what options are theyre for this)
Rear: 3" AAL rear + the already installed 2" shackle

Last edited:
are we saying that it's the side-to-side leverage that's causing the springs to sagg>? twisting while turning and flexing? because otherwise...i dont see how there's an increase in leverage...

What I meant is, if your going for a new lift realitlvely soon. One that INCLUDED new leafs, go ahead and put the extended shackle on now, what do you care if your leaf sags more???

Its really impossible to say the life expexcentacy of a leaf that has a longer shackle on it. Only that the longer the shackle the shorter the springs life.

The AAL will make the ride stiff, short term it will be tollerable. Same for the longer shackle. Best bet is to save a bit more and go for a kit that incl=uded full spring packs. OR just go to RE and buy it piece meal .......

CW

dirt nugget said:
Say if i went with this set up for now...what would i progress to next? (fill in the question marks)

Note: I know other upgrades would be required to keep the driveline angles in order and new shocks, brakelines...but for now im just curious as to the lift options later down the road if i start with this setup.

Now
1~" longer front + spacer OR 2" longer coil
2" increase rear shackle

Future
Front:?? (just 4-5" lift coil?..what options are theyre for this)
Rear: 3" AAL rear + the already installed 2" shackle

I'd say go for your planned budget boost for now.
In the future I'd reccomend not getting an AAL! Get full spring packs (or make a bastard pack!) instead.
Keep in mind shackles throw off your pinion angle, so you will need to shim.

There is TONS of info here if you search!

Wow, lot's of SPOBI goin on in this thread.

Nothing wrong with shackles.
Your (and everyone else's) OEM leaf springs use them.
There is absolutely no reason they should cause your leafs to flatten out or sag prematurely to any noticable degree.

I don't know anyone who runs a lifted XJ that doesn't use aftermarket extended shackles.
They are essential for decent articulation.

Well how exactly is a bastard pack different then a vendor supplied AAL? I know that with the AAL the ride will likely be harsher(more harsh?), but its a jeep damnit..not a benz..is it really that bad? Ive ridden in a friends 95 with the rustys AAL and it didnt seem too bad..but it was a short and on-road trip.

I would like to go with the full spring pack if I can afford to just because of the overwhelming voice saying its worth it...but spending the extra 200$ for the same height lift seems a little to off for me at this stage in the game...Im new this 4x4 thing...i still dont understand.

Whats the easiest (best) way to get the 1.75-2" lift in the front to match the rear shackles? Just a spacer for now since I'll be adding onto it with a 3" lift later? Or will the ZJ springs be enough lift to match the rear?

they throw your pinion angle off as well since it points the pinion up.

AAL and shackles are two completely different animals.
AALs are an extra leaf with more arc built into it.
Now you have the leaf pack basically fighting itself.

MrShaft696 said:
they throw your pinion angle off as well since it points the pinion up.
A good thing since you're lifted.

kid4lyf said:
A good thing since you're lifted.
That can depend if you have an SYE or not though.

I fully agree about the SPOBI about the shackles. You may be mixing these up with blocks, they will wear springs out faster.

AALs not only ride rough and put unwanted forces on the rest of the pack. They will also sag pretty fast, and don't flex that great.

Bastard packs are built using actual leaf springs instead of the one very thick leaf doing all the work.

So is a bastard pack just the main leaf from the same set of springs that are currently on there? Or just any main leaf?

So if i score a second set of stock leafs and slap the main leaf minus the bushings into my current leaf pack I would then have a bastard pack? Is this still referred to as a bastard pack if I use an s10 main leaf?

Still learning. Thanks for all the polite replys so far.

You will need to retain the main leaf.(unless you reposition mounts) S10 main leaves are too long, and the centering pin isn't in the right position.
The idea is to keep the main leaf, and add to that. I used S10 springs in my first bastard pack and got about 4" using the whole S10 pack under the XJ main leaf (results vary), just cut the eyes off the S10 main leaf to fit it.
The pack I have now uses F150 lift leafs and longer shackles, sitting at 6.5".
It is a bastard pack when you combine more than one spring pack.
Search "Bastard pack", there are several write ups on this to help you out.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Search "Bastard pack", there are several write ups on this to help you out.

Did just that while awaiting a response. Saved the write up and pictures. Already started hitting up the local minitrucker forums looking for free leafs.

Back