• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire and rim Q

Mutant_Xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just got some 33x13.50x15 TSL off of GhostDakota. What rim width would you guys go with? I got 3 sets of factory rims and I guess they're all 8". I'm piecing together everything for a lift and I'm trying to figure out if I need new rims or if i should get spacers. I've read you want to get rims that aren't as wide as the tire, but I think 13.5" on 8" is a bit much but I honestly have no Idea. I was hoping to use my set of alum. rims so I wouldn't have to spend more money. Any info from you past experience would be appreciated.

Damien

Those factory rims are 15x7 with 5.25 bs...I definately wouldn't run those with 13.50's...
I think your looking at 15x10 rims with say maybe 3.50 or 3.75 bs. for those 13.50's.
I would go with 15x10.Spacers suck and are actually illegal in some states.Not to mention they are not very cheap.You can get a set of cragar soft 8's for not too much more than spacers....why do you think alot of people(Myself included) run the cragars?Its not for the "bling" factor,it's because they are cost effective.

Last edited:
Not positive, but I think the center wheel hole diameter is different on the explorer. Heard a few people say they had to grind out the centers a little bit to clear the shouldered protrusion on the XJ axles.

Older Ranger, Explorer... late 80s and early 90s have 15x7 wheels with the same bolt pattern as our Jeeps. Less backspacing, our stock wheels have 5.25" backspacing.... the Ford 15x7s have 4.5" backspacing I believe.

Last edited:
If you air down go with 8" width if you don't air down much you can run 10" and enjoy the extra stability. Nothing like 2" of extra rim sticking out on each side to give you comfort on off camber situations. I never could understand why some buy 8" bead locks over 10's unless they do it to protect the rim. 6 PSI on a beadlocked 10 inch rim is fun to watch the tire wrap around stuff.

Back