• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comp cams 68-201-4

jeepin270

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I bought this cam about a year ago, I wasn't aware of all the differant cams for 4.0 at that time. Is this cam worth putting in. My motor is going to be stock other than the cam. I have the comcam lifters, New stock springs and timing chain and gears. Has anybody used this cam? What kinda gains should I see?

I run the Comp Cams A6 X4 250H-13 Camshaft in my rig with decent results, but mine ain't all stock either. It's not stroked, but a lot of other work has done into other parts of the engine (bored, honed, ported, other head work, intake work, list never ends).

Here's the kit I'm using:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2DK68%2D232%2D4&autoview=sku

Anyway... here's want I've been able to gather:
Your cam is spec'd to run best between 1200 to 4400RPM.

With mine being at 800 to 4800 it gives me a great mix of torque off the line and a great smooth idle. Your's being approx 1200-4400RPM means you're power band is shorter and your idle will be slightly rougher. However, it does make your cam good for towing and highway cruising at mid-range RPMs.
Comp Cams also does not recommend your camshaft for fuel injection... so I don't know what year you're planning on, but keep that in mind. Not saying it won't work, but you'll have to mess around a little to get you're engine to idle right.

From everything I've been told (nothing I've done, or have proof to back up) running a steep heavy (hot) cam on an otherwise stock engine will yeild about 12-18hp on the 4.0L. That'll change depending on the cam and other engine work.

Hope that helps some...

-Bill

jeepin270 said:
I have the comcam lifters, New stock springs and timing chain and gears.

I just read this part I missed it before.
Even though not nessesary, I wouldn't run stock springs with a camshaft, do it right and get the correct springs for that camshaft. Other's run the stocker's with non-stock camshafts, but that'll cause damage in the long run. For the price of springs, if the engines all apart to 'throw in' a cam, just do it.

Back