• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I buy 5-760x joints from an auto store?

I had a truck supply place tell me Dana/Spicer had filed Bankruptcy and that he was unsure how it would affect availability. Its easier for me to go to a 4wd shop or a driveline shop to find spicer products. However after asking around most of them seem to think Neapco is the next best thing if you can't get spicer.

Neapco is junk compaired to Spicer. Keep looking and you will find them. Neopco has huge grease holes thru them making them weaker.

Dana filed for bankruptcy, but it was a re-organisation (Chapter 11?) which allows them to continue doing business. I've not had any trouble getting Dana/Spicer goodies.

They covered this on their website - you can look it up if you like. I think they filed quite some time ago, but I've not had any trouble at all.

I haven't had any trouble yet, they had like 450 in stock lol. But I guess they have had some difficulty with other parts.

I didn't say Neapco was as good as spicer, thats what they recomended to use if spicer was not available

Stumpalump said:
Neapco is junk compaired to Spicer. Keep looking and you will find them. Neopco has huge grease holes thru them making them weaker.

By solid non-greasable joints. Stronger and no maintenance.

All solid joints are stronger than joints with holes drilled in them. Ask a drag racer.

Oh... I'm not saying Neapco is as good as Spicer stuff. Although... I've run them with no problems many times.

There was a u-joint strength test a few years back and Neapco came in right after Spicer. Don't remember where I saw it though.

96XJay said:

All solid joints are stronger than joints with holes drilled in them. Ask a drag racer.

Oh... I'm not saying Neapco is as good as Spicer stuff. Although... I've run them with no problems many times.

There was a u-joint strength test a few years back and Neapco came in right after Spicer. Don't remember where I saw it though.
Crawl Magazine in the March/April issue had a good write up.
Russ

Auto zone: Nope
O'reilly: Nope
Pep Boys: Nope

You'll walk in and say "I'd like a spicer model 5-760x" and they'll say "what is that"
you'll say " a u-joint" and they will ask you what vehicle it is going on and then do the Parts Monkey shuffle.

NAPA might be able to get them, but It would be easier if NAPA wasn't so "out of the way" with their locations down here. The local 4x4 shop has a pile of em and knows what I am asking for so I go there.

Driveline shops, and napa can get them but they really push their brand on you. Ebay has them and so does a Jeep dealer. I am fortunate enought to have a Spicer shop here in Fresno.

I've bought a few over the last year or so and I just have gone in (advance or napa) and told them the year...always got a 760 even if the stock part was a 297. Did this with a ford HP-44 and my current waggy D-44. We also did it with an early model TJ D-30.

96XJay said:

my problem with solid joints are that they wear quickly in the enviroment in the Jeep.
I had solid joints in my rear DS, they lasted a year befre the needle bearings rusted out.
I'll take the trade off of a "weak" U joint that's serviceable. It's not like I've got a big block and am running it down the strip.

87manche said:
my problem with solid joints are that they wear quickly in the enviroment in the Jeep.
I had solid joints in my rear DS, they lasted a year befre the needle bearings rusted out.
I'll take the trade off of a "weak" U joint that's serviceable. It's not like I've got a big block and am running it down the strip.

i have to agree for a daily driver use greaseable is much better
but if it were a trailer queen i could see the use on solid joints being better

The last time I went to purchase spicer 760/297's I found something interesting.... I was at a NAPA store... The guy behind the counter brought out two boxes, one was older, one was newer. The newer joint was noticably different. There was something else that struck me as strange. Spicer boxes, one says MADE in USA and the other was not listed. Larry's driveshaft in Springdale AR dropped spicer because of this. They are outsourcing production to china. Quality has taken a hit. I do not know if this is for all of the spicer joints, or if this is still going on. Speaking with Larry, he was pissed that he would order spicer joints, half the shipment would be good USA u-joints and half would be crap import.

I have been running neapco's for two years now with zero problems.

You can get the kind that have a grease fitting in the end of each bearing cap eliminating the holes drilled all the way thru the joint. You can get the needle adapter for your grease gun at almost any parts store. The c-clips in some yokes can still be a problem so my drive shaft guy will make me up a spicer joint with two greasable caps and two non greasable. The spicers seal pretty good and I would think that if your not a mud puppy then they will last as long as they say. I thinks it's rated for 75K miles.

I just got back from my Napa, and they said that they don't carry Spicer joints anymore.

ECKSJAY said:
Must be an indie store... The ones down here don't.

All of my local napa's carry them. The sell them as "Dana" u-joints, and are in a Napa blue box, but have the spicer stamp on the u-joint..

Back