• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i got a trannny issue in my pioneer

Pioneer86Ian

NAXJA Forum User
ok i just bought an 86 Pioneer 2 door 4wd it has about 120K engine has around 70K. its a lil rusted found a few holes but frame/unibody structure is good
there is two problems
#1 the guy said i had to put trans fluid in once in a while
well i get home and it stinkin and steam and there is tranny fluid pouring out
well yeah i tried a lil stop leak to see if itd slow it down a lil but it didnt so i bought a seal, the problem is im lazy and i have to either hoist the engine or drop the tranny and ive only worked on stick shifts i get under there and autos dont look fun to pull too much linkage and delicate lines. engine hoisting seems easier and my neighbor has one but i dont have no tools and i have gravel everywhere no paved driveway even
#2 the 4wd is selectrac and dont engage its the vacuum switch and then a lever for hi lo the lever the lever feels all shitty

yeah im trying to make a trail truck but drive on road somewhat i dunno im either just gunna sell it or something wut do you think i should do anyone wanna buy it??

first thing is first. what is leaking. what is damaged. etc.

the aw4 is a decent trans, its strong, simple and not that hard to work on.

next thing. try not to be lazy anymore. offroading and a lazy attitude do not mix very well.

welcome to naxja :eeks1:

Probably not....but....fluid will pour out of the trans vent at the top if it is overfilled and you drive around, especially in hot weather.

Doesn't sound like it's overfilled......unless that stop leak put it over the top.

my only real problem is a lack of place to do the work and tools and it keeps pouring rain and noone will help me with it i guess im just ramblin and need to get off my lazy ass and get help and pull the engine

the fluid, it pours out from under inbetween the engine and bellhousing right on the exhaust and steams

Drain the tranny and see what the fluid looks like ie: whats in it, metal bits/shavings? 'Cause that would be bad...

rag said:
first thing is first. what is leaking. what is damaged. etc.

the aw4 is a decent trans, its strong, simple and not that hard to work on.

next thing. try not to be lazy anymore. offroading and a lazy attitude do not mix very well.

welcome to naxja :eeks1:
If this is an 86 it is not going to have the AW4 in it. it is going to have the TC904 or the TC909 Probley the 909, the only difference is one is a lock up and the other is a non loock up. They are much stronger than the AW4. They were used in the 70's behind small block mopar engines. Does it have any cooling lines? With only 120,000 on it I would not sell it It could be a good fixer upper.

The A904 is a lockup version of the A727 - and the A727 lived behind Hemis and 440 "Six-packs" without too much trouble...

First things first, tho - what engine? The 1986XJ was equipped with either the Renault 126ci/2.1L Turbo Diesel (which came with manual only, as I recall,) the AMC 150ci/2.46L I4, or the GM 173ci/2.8L V6-60.

The V6-60, if you have it, is a bigger problem than your transmission - and should either be replaced with the AMC I4 at first opportunity (you're only trading a couple of horsepower for brute reliability anyhow) or a RWD 3.1 or 3.4L V6-60 (a vast improvement. Having owned both a 2.8L-powered and a 3.1L-powered vehicle, I can attest. Both were four-door sedans, and the Corsica was about 300# heavier than the Cavalier I had anyhow.)

However, there's nothing wrong with the Chrysler automatic in design - yours may want an overhaul, but that's about the lot. It was probably treated badly - the thing is otherwise about as reliable as the GM THM400 or Ford C6 three-speeds... I wouldn't quite compare it favourably to the GM Powerglide with the cast iron case, but it's close (durability? Advantage: Powerglide. However, the Powerglide was only a two-speed...)

yeah its an amc 2.5 it runs like a damn champ and i guess the guy before said it had a blown motor and put that in there out of another jeep with way less miles i know its worth fixin i just dont feel like dealin with it now i need a garage to do it in plus 2 doors are rare and pretty cool i wasnt sure how the chrysler trans were but i just looked it up and its usually a trans behind a v8 and yeah there are 2 or three lines running from the trans and the trans is fine if full of fluid

Back