• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Requests?

rokclimbertx said:
aren't there a couple of trails that begin and/or end out in arches? not sure about the difficulty but might be scenic...

or maybe something out in or around canyonlands?
I think there is a dirt road going out of Arches.

Canyonlands has Elephant Hill in the South and Shafer trail in the north.

Both if these are very scenic and last year we did Elephant Hill. Which BTW is a great trail for those new to the sport or in stock vehicles who actually want to "wheel" their jeeps.

oh well... i thought there were a couple of ways out of or into arches from looking at those moab east/west topos...

as far as canyonlands, i saw a thing on tv about the 3 areas there and thought they mentioned that some of the petroglyphs or ruins required a 4x4 to get there but i may be wrong about access to the general public concerning that...

last year, flat iron mesa became my favorite trail so i hope tosee that one on the list... but strike ravine albeit an adventure; struck out in my opinion...

rokclimbertx said:
oh well... i thought there were a couple of ways out of or into arches from looking at those moab east/west topos...

as far as canyonlands, i saw a thing on tv about the 3 areas there and thought they mentioned that some of the petroglyphs or ruins required a 4x4 to get there but i may be wrong about access to the general public concerning that...

last year, flat iron mesa became my favorite trail so i hope tosee that one on the list... but strike ravine albeit an adventure; struck out in my opinion...
We are going to run Strike Ravine a little later this year and find out the proper way to run it.

Its a definate maybe on the list of ideas.

Something to keep in mind. All the trails have to fall under the EJS list. Since we run this on a BLM permit the trails we use have to be covered there. The exception to this would be areas like BFE which is privatly owned.

Steel Bender. I'm planning (at this point) on attending the 'Fling and would be more than happy to lead that trail.

I'll also join any group going to BFE - always a good time.

I would be interested in Elephant Hill & any other scenic runs. Possibly Hells Revenge.

It Looks like you are starting on Wed this year & going to Sunday, unlike last years Tues-Sat. We'll be there until Sat

Rob

FELIX said:
I would be interested in Elephant Hill & any other scenic runs. Possibly Hells Revenge.

It Looks like you are starting on Wed this year & going to Sunday, unlike last years Tues-Sat. We'll be there until Sat

Rob
It should be the 2nd through the 6th.

I think somewhere we had last years calander up or something.

DrMoab said:
It should be the 2nd through the 6th.

I think somewhere we had last years calander up or something.

Good to hear. We''ll be up on Monday late afternoon.:sunshine:

Rob

rokclimbertx said:
aren't there a couple of trails that begin and/or end out in arches? not sure about the difficulty but might be scenic...
Klondike Bluffs & Tower Arch trails are a nice loop for stockers and get you in the back door of Arches NP. Both are in the Charles Wells book but don't think either of them are on the EJS list

How about doing Flat Iron Mesa backwards for a change?

WayneXJ said:
Is that a BLM request, or something NAXJA has come up with?
Unfortunately its the BLM. We have grown big enough to be under a permit just like the EJS is.

Basically the permit says we can run any trail as long as it is a trail that EJS has permitted with the BLM.

This isn't to say that you, me or another member couldn't take his own little group out there but it couldn't be sanctioned by naxja. It would just have to be one of those "on your own" type things.

Here is the list of trails we are permitted to run on BLM land:

3-D Trail
Elephant Hill
Hey Joe Canyon
Pritchett Canyon
Behind the Rocks
Fins and Things
Hole in the Rock
Rose Garden Hill
Tip-Toe Behind the Rocks
Flat Iron Mesa
Hotel Rock
Secret Spire
Chicken Corners
Gold Bar Rim
Kane Creek Canyon
Sevenmile Rim
Cliff Hanger
Golden Spike
Metal Masher
Steel Bender
Copper Ridge
Hellroaring Rim
Moab Rim
Strike Ravine
Crystal Geyser
Hell's Revenge
Poison Spider Mesa
Top of the World
Dome Plateau
Tip-Toe Through Hell
Porcupine Rim
Wipe-Out Hill

Descriptions and ratings are found here: http://www.rr4w.com/trails.html

Last edited:
Handlebars said:
Klondike Bluffs & Tower Arch trails are a nice loop for stockers and get you in the back door of Arches NP. Both are in the Charles Wells book but don't think either of them are on the EJS list

How about doing Flat Iron Mesa backwards for a change?

A couple fall flings ago with Danno leading we did that Tower Arch run but combined it with Tusher Tunnel beforehand and although we drove right past Klondike we didn't stop.

For some veriety, I don't recall that I've seen these on the lists since 02'.
Hey Joe Canyon
Secret Spire
Hellroaring Rim
Crystal Geyser
Dome Plateau
Porcupine Rim

This one was attempted last year but after that "monsoon" it was a no go.
3-D Trail

Back