• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft length

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chry 8.25 with a driveshaft made for that axle (length wise) and I just got a Dana 44 and I know they are longer in the pinion area so should I invest in a new driveshaft considering that I have only about two inches of spline travel before it bottoms out at ride height. o ya I have 4.5 leafs and 1.25 RE shackels

I would think with that much lift you should be fine. Throw in a few extra inches of rear bump stop. I think the 8.25 and 44 are pretty close in pinion length. The D35s are shorter.

boise49ers said:
I think the 8.25 and 44 are pretty close in pinion length.

X2, I just bought an XJ D44 and after some initial measurements they come out pretty close. Although I'm running more lift than you (6") I think you'll be okay.

OK, so I'll dredge up an old thread.

ALL OTHER THINGS BEING THE SAME, what is the difference in driveshaft length between a D-35 and a D-44???

thx

Hypoid said:
OK, so I'll dredge up an old thread.

ALL OTHER THINGS BEING THE SAME, what is the difference in driveshaft length between a D-35 and a D-44???

thx

Also could you use a DS from a 87 Cherokee w a D44 on a 242 TC Hack-n-tap using said d44 W/ 6" lift.

I figure you should be ok. I just replaced my D35 for a D44 scout and my DS was already custom made. I only had to shorten in about 2 3/4" could've possibly gotten by with 2 1/2". The 8.25 and D44 aren't that much different from each other.

Back