• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission question

KyletheJeepguy

NAXJA Forum User
Correct me if Im wrong, but if you're in 4wheel drive shouldn't your front driveline quit turning? Mine is still turning, I had it in 4x4 for mudfest all day and now i think it's stuck in 4high. Any ideas or suggestions?

KyletheJeepguy said:
Correct me if Im wrong, but if you're in 4wheel drive shouldn't your front driveline quit turning? Mine is still turning, I had it in 4x4 for mudfest all day and now i think it's stuck in 4high. Any ideas or suggestions?
No, unless you have an old disconnect front 30.
Your wheels are spinning, so your axleshafts are spinning, so your diff is spinning, so your driveshaft is spinning.

I assumed you ment it should stop spinning in 2WD.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the NP231 and even NP242, disconnect the front axle at the transfer case.

So in 2WD, as your moving and the front wheels are moving, they back drive the drivetrain all the way up to the transfer case, which makes no difference since within the transfer case the front portion is disconnected and spinning freely.

If you were stuck in 4WD HI, you should have gotten some binding and chirping tires on the street as you turned, especially in tight turns.

If you still worried you might be stuck in 4WD HI, you could put the vehicle on jack stands and see if gassing it will spin the front wheels.

Probably quicker and easier, put the transfer case in neutral and gas the motor, if you go nowhere, then the transfer case is shifting and its unlikely it stuck in just one mode.

Rick Anderson said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the NP231 and even NP242, disconnect the front axle at the transfer case.

So in 2WD, as your moving and the front wheels are moving, they back drive the drivetrain all the way up to the transfer case, which makes no difference since within the transfer case the front portion is disconnected and spinning freely.
Yep

Rick Anderson said:
If you were stuck in 4WD HI, you should have gotten some binding and chirping tires on the street as you turned, especially in tight turns.
Not if he's open in the front.

Rick Anderson said:
If you still worried you might be stuck in 4WD HI, you could put the vehicle on jack stands and see if gassing it will spin the front wheels.
Don't do that, not a good idea.

Just put the transmission in park, put the parking brake on, and chalk the rear tires. Then jack up the front axle and put it on jackstands and try to spin the front tires. If you have a locker the will spin in the same direction, if your open they will spin the opposite direction, if you in 4-HI (or low) it wont spin at all.

Rick Anderson said:
Probably quicker and easier, put the transfer case in neutral and gas the motor, if you go nowhere, then the transfer case is shifting and its unlikely it stuck in just one mode.
Well yes...

Back