• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moabs with 285's

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Anyone run Rubicon wheels (Moabs) with 285/75-16's? Can you do this without spacers, AND without contacting the LCA's??
Thanks much!

Yes. But to run them without "billet wheel adapters" and not have them rub the LCA's, you'll need to adjust your steering stops or run a radiused LCA. I've run Rubi wheels for a couple of years with 1.25" billet adapters......get 1" units if you can and be happy.

XJEEPER said:
Yes. But to run them without "billet wheel adapters" and not have them rub the LCA's, you'll need to adjust your steering stops or run a radiused LCA. I've run Rubi wheels for a couple of years with 1.25" billet adapters......get 1" units if you can and be happy.
Thats what I was afraid of...I'm on stock 16x7's now with 265's, and would be all over the LCA's without the 1.25 inch wheel spacers. I don't need them in the back though. I'd like to ditch the wheel spacers at some point, and get wheels with the correct offset, but just can't justify the money right now. I know the Moabs are the same offset, 5.25, but are one inch wider, and thought that might be enough to clear 285's. Oh well. Thanks for the info!:wave1:

From my understanding Moabs are not the same offset as your stock 16x7 wheels. I was thinking something like 4.5-5" backspacing (may be wrong). I ran 285x75x16s on RE short arms and did not rub at all. Went LA's and it rubbed... so I added some Spidertrax spacers and everything seems to be fine now....

***If you were closer i'd sell you all 5 of mine w/ Firestone Destination MT's (spare is brand new)***

Andy if you ever want black steelies 15x8 with 3.75" bs I'll give you mine in a few months for helping setup my cb?

uncc civilengineer said:
From my understanding Moabs are not the same offset as your stock 16x7 wheels. I was thinking something like 4.5-5" backspacing (may be wrong). I ran 285x75x16s on RE short arms and did not rub at all. Went LA's and it rubbed... so I added some Spidertrax spacers and everything seems to be fine now....

***If you were closer i'd sell you all 5 of mine w/ Firestone Destination MT's (spare is brand new)***

I know I didn't rub on 15x8s with 4.25 bs'ing and that was a 33x12.50, but with 35s I did at full lock. 285s, are what 11.2" wide or 11.5"?

uncc civilengineer said:

I'm pretty sure moabs are 16x8 with 5.25 backspacing. MJR runs them with 35" MT/R's with a 1.25" spacer with great luck though.

uncc civilengineer said:

My understanding- the Moabs are one inch wider, that one inch is on the outside of the rim mounting surface if the Backspacing is the same, effectively pushing the tire further out. It would be like taking the 7 inch rim, and removing 1 inch from the backspacing- effectively moving one inch of rim further outside the mounting surface?

***Rims and tires? what's 500 miles? I like a good road trip! Actually my 265's are less than a year old...I wouldn't be into the wheel/tire combo unless it was a REALLY good deal...But I still like a road trip.*** (OFF TOPIC) what happened to that Outer Banks trip those SEC guys were talking about for Spring? It's about summer here...in the mid 80's!

ZachMan said:
Andy if you ever want black steelies 15x8 with 3.75" bs I'll give you mine in a few months for helping setup my cb?
No thanks...I like the lighter weight aluminums for daily driver...but I'll still help ya with the CB....

cal said:
I'm pretty sure moabs are 16x8 with 5.25 backspacing. MJR runs them with 35" MT/R's with a 1.25" spacer with great luck though.
This all started as a possible way to ditch the 1.25" spacers I'm currently using...I think I'll wind up with some MT Classics. They seem reasonbly priced, and appropriate backspacing. Thanks!

Digging up an old thread i know ... but i run 285's on MOAB with no rubbing or trimming of any kind anywhere.

Back