• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drifts to right

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 97XJ drifts to the right when I let go of the steering wheel.

It is not because of the crown of the road either. It does it when in the right most lane, or even the left most lane of the hightway.
I let go of the steering wheel and after a couple of seconds the XJ drifts into the next lane on the right.
Also, all tire pressures are the same.
I got brand new tires and it still does the same thing.
I switched the left and right tires and still same thing.

I'm stumped-
Any ideas?

[97XJ, 4.0, AW-4, 231J, 3" OME lift]

Probably need an alignment. After how far does it start to drift? Some alignment shops(I think) will set it up to slowly drift to the right, incase you pass out or fall asleep, it will go to the shoulder, instead of going head on.

I used to work at a dealership, and have drove hundreds of different cars, and more than 50% do the same thing.

CanMan said:
Probably need an alignment. After how far does it start to drift? Some alignment shops(I think) will set it up to slowly drift to the right, incase you pass out or fall asleep, it will go to the shoulder, instead of going head on.

I used to work at a dealership, and have drove hundreds of different cars, and more than 50% do the same thing.

Yea,
I appreciate your input.
After about 1 or 2 seconds it starts to drift to right.
I had it aligned too. It is to factory specs. I brought it back and the alignment guy then shimmed the right lower control arm to make it push forward a little to see if that would help. It didn't.

I appreciate knowing that this is somewhat normal. I just don't understand why I never noticed it until my last 2 new sets of tires.

Sure wish I could make it just steer straight with hands off the steering wheel. I mean I have a cup of coffee to hold, cellphone, and pda to deal with, not to mention the radio and CB. Too much to do while driving.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Jeff

My XJ drives straight, and only occasionally will start to drift to the right; quite slow though, not like yours.

Perhaps you have a calliper that's a wee bit stuck? Does it get worse or better if you hit the brakes?

:)

Back