• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this lift worth it??

short answer. no.

save a few more hundred and buy an RE 4.5 kit and youll thank yourself later.

ya what they said except just go w/ the RE 5.5 so you dont have to get another lift 6 months from now when u want to run bigger tires

4.5" is as far as I want to go, won't be running anything larger than 33's.

What makes this a bad lift for the money??

Thanks for the info.

Paul

Well, I can sum it up like this the best....

I used to drive a wrangler and joined a group of guys who did a lot of muddin' in the Everglades. There was this one particular spot as you entered off of Tamiami tr. that was called "Milkshake". Frankly, I never really understood why. When I went through it in my Wrangler (MORE shackle reversal + RE 4.5" Extreme Duty lift) it was bouncy but not that bad. Then I rode through it one time in my buddy's Jeep which sported a 4" Pro Crap lift. I couldn't believe I made it through it alive without a kidney belt. I quickly jumped on the RE bandwagon.

Since then, I have yet to find a suspension kit that performs and rides as well as the RE kits.

In the Rough country defense, however, I know several people that swear by Rough Country as the best "Bang for the buck" lift there is. I imagine you'll find arguments on both sides, but essentially it comes down to personal preference and financial viability.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I said what you said when I got this rig....I now sit on 6.5" of lift with 33's and am somewhat considering going higher by perhaps an inch or more.

I'm on 32's at about 6 inches of lift. I still had to do trimming since i wasnt bumpstopped. If you go with the 4.5" lift, get yourself some JKS ACOS and 1.5" rear shackles.

RE is indeed the way to go. I was running a used Rustys 4.5" kit and have been replacing the broken parts with RE.

BTW, contact Dan Turner (loose nuts enterprises) for pricing on an RE lift. He quotes GREAT prices. Don't look at the pricing on the RE site. Once you talk to Dan, you will be stoked.

RE is a great choice! I would look at the 4.5 and the 5.5 inch kits. The reason I say the 5.5 is because you get an awesome kit, but it;s more money.

You can do what Josh (DJBlade) said, RE 4.5", ACOS, and 1.5" shackle - that's what I have, and I am on 33's.

I also upgraded to adjustable upper and lower control arms with drop brackets.

You will want to trim a little as well as get some armor and tow points.

Look around for the best price - but check with with the NAXJA vendors, especially Dan Turner.

Once you get the lift you want, you can post up a lift party and get it done in a day!

Good Luck!

The RE kit also comes with lower and Upper control arms, longer braided brake lines, bump stops, front disconnects and a adjustable trac bar.

It's a complete and you wouldn't need to add anything else unless you want to go higher. Also, it's real easy to lift it an 1 to 1.5" higher with the RE kit without any major changes.

Most people end up with 5.5" lift in rear, with RE kit, and add coil spacers up front.

I have the RE 4.5" Super-Flex kit and love it.. The only thing I would do different is add an 1" coil spacer up front when I installed the lift.

I love the kit and am glad that I took everyone's advice when I asked for their opinions.

And remember to budget for a SYE..

Elias
Eh-lee-us

RE is a solid kit and well proven. Add-a-leaf :puke: .Its worth the money to get full leafs no matter who's kit ya get.
Not to mention it will bring you good Karma to do business with a local Bro like Dan Turner. :angel:

Last edited:
I had my heart set on a rough counrty 4.5 as well, and since my tax return was LITTLE bit bigger than expected, i went with rustys, which i also hear good and bad about, but most will agree it's still better than the rough country job. But like you said man, if you don't plan on being a monster and tackling SledgeHammer every other weekend, you will probably be ok, it's a great kit for mild wheeling.

4.5" re-using the stock trackbar will not leave you good geometry. You will go through trackbars like mad, overflexing the upper joint.

The lack of UCA's will give you either a bad pinion angle (vibes) or your tires too close to the wheel well, so they will rub when you turn.

No swaybar disconnects means it wont flex all that well.

The rubber bushings they use on their LCA's will not last very long at all.

The add-a-leaf will give 4.5" on a "new" leaf spring pack. If your jeep has 200k on it like most, it's gonna look like a wanna be prerunner - 4.5" in front and 2.5" in the rear, which will sag back to stock in a few months.

The quality of the parts is very poor.

Rough Country coils tend to be very stiff - it won't ride well.

I didnt see longer brake lines front or rear on the list - you will need both at 4.5".

I could go on all day. Seriously, the users of this forum have collectivly lifted *thousands* of jeeps, and there is a reason 95% of everyone says rubicon express.

Sorry guys but this one is going to Mod tech................

Crappy control arms and shocks.You will still need a trackbar because the only place that bracket belongs is in the garbage can!

Back