• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Receiver hitch install tips needed

Engine One Eight

NAXJA Forum User
Went to Harmon's in Tulsa and found a salvage 2" Valley receiver hitch off an XJ. I need some tips on the installation process. It did not have the nut strips with it so I fabbed up some of my own, however, I will have to remove the rear bumper and bumper mounting bracket to slide my nut strips into the frame rail. Is this the same as with the factory strips or were they welded to thin enough metal that you could get it into the frame rail without removing the bumper?

When removing the bumper, there appears to be some rivit looking fasteners between the bumper and sheet metal. Obviously I have not started removing the bumper and was hoping for any tips or tricks I should know before starting.

Thanks
Engine One Eight

I had factory nut strips, and no they dont bend. I removed the bumper. Not to difficult to do, but I cheated alittle. After removing the endcaps(they slide backward after removing a small screw on the bottom) you can see 2 of the 4 nuts holding the bumper on the mounting bracket about a foot in from each side within the bumper, the other 2 are easier, located outside the bumper at the bottom.
I didnt feel like fighting those 2 nuts off from the side of the bumper, so I drilled 2, 3/4" holes in the bumper so I could use a regular socket with extension. Once the bumper is off you have 4 bolts per mounting bracket, then you will have access for the nut strips.

<edit> this is a '98

untitled.JPG

Last edited:
Just take off the bumper mounting brackets from the bottom side....eight bolts...bumper and all comes off then...at least it did on my '96

triton_186 said:
Just take off the bumper mounting brackets from the bottom side....eight bolts...bumper and all comes off then...at least it did on my '96

Unfortunately the 97-up bumper makes those bolts harder to reach. It can be a real PITA. On mine, this was made worse because the knuckledraggers who installed its previous U-haul hitch (with mismatched bolts, and tearing a couple of access holes in the frame as well) reattached the bumper with green Loctite (that's the stuff for when you KNOW you'll NEVER have to remove the bolt again). I got it off, but I think my hands bled for a week.

Back