• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push Button Ign.

kstacoma

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1984 cherokee w/the 2.5l, I am intersted in putting in a push button ignition. Has anyone done something similar? What wiring is involved etc.? I am having issues w/my key/lock mechanism so am hoping to bypass all that together.
Thanks

It's too much trouble IMHO. Spend your time working on performance modifications like suspension, chassis, engine, etc. JMO!

I think even with most street push buttons you still have to have a key. Or at least a hidden switch or else it would be pretty easy to steal your jeep. I know with higher end cars you have to keep a plastic fob so it works. Every way I would think to try it would involve a key. It would def be cool if you could get it working without car theives getting it working as well.

What you can do to make it even cooler, get a remote start installed and then have them by pass the limiter. I had it done on mine...

You only need pwr from batt w/inline fuse and a wire going to the solinoid on the batt. That only to start it, but you need to turn the key to turn to ign to start it. You can use this as a temp fix for a bad NSS. But still need a way to energise ign switch without having to go under the collum and pull the rod that starts the eng. It's easier to just fix the prob without creating another. I have used a switch as a temp fix then just left it in place, hidden of course.

I attempted it on mine. I had to to still have the key in the one position, but the ECU wouldn't fire the ignition until I left off the button, didn't work real well. But most guys with the buggies run a switch to turn it on, then a momentary switch to crank/fire. So there is a way..

Matus2 is right the alarm guys can wire a remote start even if the NSS is bad. I did'nt know you could drive off without turning the key. If I understand correctly.

Never used a reg on/off switch only mommentary. Have done it as far back as 1976. Or was it 1876 . Sorry can remember my age , but I did go to school with George Washington.

A replacement key cylinder and/or ignition switch (under the dash) are both GM standard I think and fairly cheap. Why not fix the problem instead of trying to reinvent the wheel?

(sry for the terrible spelling, its late)

I did it on my 93, b/c i like to reinvent the wheel as often as possible. :) IT isnt as much work as you would think. My problem was a short that caused the dash to go out whenever i had the heater blower above the lowest setting.

MY jeep had been previously stripped of its carpet and interior. Since I like to be differant, I ran flexible plastic electricians conduit with all the wires that I would need to wire 2 illuminated switches ( fuel pump and accesories). I think it was 4 or 5 wires for the lighted switches. Then I installed a cheap project box from radio shack.

I dont smoke and had no use for the lighter, so hid my push button in its place. I epoxyed the plastic top of the trashed lighted to my momentary push button switch.

I leave the key in the ignition to unlock the steering column. It was a fun project and it freaks people out when you start your XJ by the lighter. :)

Somone who did not know the set up or hadnt seen it started befor, woul be flabergasted when they turned the key and nothing happens.

To each his own!

water-logged.jpg

this is the only picture that I have showing the conduit that I used. I was going for water proof. I needed it more than once:)

Back