• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Tomken 4" leafs?

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
I am looking to ditch the blocks eating my current leaf pack -- Likely getting RE 3.5 or Tomken 4 packs - tomken is local (no shipping) and slightly cheaper (+NAXJA discount), and I have heard that they ride fairly nice. On the other hand, I have experience with RE products and trust them - anyone have thoughts?

BTW - will be on a 5" lifted vehicle (rear uses a shackle) with longarms and a 4.6 stroker, currently sitting on 33s ...

Bought stuff from Tomkin--including there 4", made in Mexico, leafs. Found them to be poorly made, compared to the 2" Ranchos I pulled off. They netted ~1" over the Ranchos, which were years-old. After ~2mos, they were flat! Called Tomken, but got no satisfaction. They were not even apologetic regarding selling stuff made in Mexico, but not advertising that fact. I would not buy from them just to avoid shipping costs. Go RE and be happy.

xjbubba said:
Bought stuff from Tomkin--including there 4", made in Mexico, leafs. Found them to be poorly made, compared to the 2" Ranchos I pulled off. They netted ~1" over the Ranchos, which were years-old. After ~2mos, they were flat! Called Tomken, but got no satisfaction. They were not even apologetic regarding selling stuff made in Mexico, but not advertising that fact. I would not buy from them just to avoid shipping costs. Go RE and be happy.

Good stuff, but how long ago was this? It is my understanding that Tomken has addressed some of their shortcomings from a few years ago, and that their current product line is considerably better that it used to be... then again, maybe not.

xj-grin said:
Good stuff, but how long ago was this? It is my understanding that Tomken has addressed some of their shortcomings from a few years ago, and that their current product line is considerably better that it used to be... then again, maybe not.
I have a set of the Tomken 6" packs, I didn't see any made in mexico markings but they are holding up well regardless.

Skullvarian said:
I have a set of the Tomken 6" packs, I didn't see any made in mexico markings but they are holding up well regardless.

When did you get them and how much abuse have you shown them? Do you have any comments as far as ride quality, or sagging?

thanks

xj-grin said:
When did you get them and how much abuse have you shown them? Do you have any comments as far as ride quality, or sagging?

thanks
I got them about a year ago, a bit of abuse but nothing radical. The ride quality is real good, they came with an overload spring which I flipped over for more flex, can be flipped back over for heavy loads. They have sagged a little bit but the quality was good, military wrap eyes, 8 leafs per pack, I am happy with them

Cool. We have one vote for appallingly bad, and one for "I love them"... anyone else wanna break the tie?

I run a super old set of 4"ers. Pretty happy with them, they ride well. They have sagged a bit but I've been pretty dang hard on them and I've had them on for 4-5yrs and I bought them used. I also a bit of weight in the rear with 3 socket sets, tool bag, high lift, jacks, ect. No idea about their new stuff, looks decent. If I was going to buy another midrange set of leaves I would definatly consider tomken again.

My experince with them was arround 4-5 years-ago. The other responses in this thread would appear to exonerate them. So if you live close by, go check out there springs; maybe they have a U.S. source now. My springs came with a sticker that said "hecho en Mexico". The leaves were wavy, and did not lay smoothly against each other, and, as I recall, the center pin was only 1/4-inch. I'm currently using the main and first leave in a bastard pack along with CJ leaves that gives me the height I need (6 inches), but is way too stiff. I'm planning on buying the RE rears in the near future.

Back