• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

while installing my new bumper,i cross threaded and stripped steering box bolts.HELP

JrTxJ

NAXJA Forum User
i don't know what to do. i think i've officially given up on trying to do stuff myself. i always seem to run into problems that leave my ride undrivable, which i can't do because i work full time and go to school for a continuing ed program.

the steering box bolts just wouldn't line up. i had the bottum two in at one point fine, but couldn't get the top in. so i took them out and tried again starting from the top first. i did not crank them in there tight, so it could adjust to install the rest of them. well the new bolts supplied from rocklizard just wouldn't seem to thread in right, i don't know if it is the angle, or what, because the top one was a stock bolt and it went in fine. but the other ones just aren't able to catch to go in.

i can see a gap in between the spacer and steering box, but the bolts are in tight now. probably cross threaded and i can see that one of them, the housing, is stripped. i don't know if i should go pay a shop to re-tap them and install bolts, or what. i just know this sucks and i don't know what to do. i can't drive my car if it's unsafe, and i know this might seem like an easy thing to do, but i can't do it. really nervous about it and don't have the time to not have a car for work tomorrow. blah

/rant

If you don't have time then look for a ride to work, or rent a car.

If you want to try and fix it there are kits, I think they're called heli-coil, that restore the threads to the origional size. Sould be able to get them at parts stores, but call first. You drill out the old threads, tap a hole, an screw in an insert that looks like a spring. It'll be stronger than before. I've done it, it isn't too hard. Oh, and make sure that the bolts will fit. Try them off the car if you must just to make sure they'll go in.

Re: while installing my new bumper,i cross threaded and stripped steering box bolts.HELP

pics? some kid on here drilled and tapped the steering box and ran a tad bit bigger bolt

Re: while installing my new bumper,i cross threaded and stripped steering box bolts.HELP

I just drilled the threads out, got a longer bolt, and put a nylock nut on the other side.

sounds good.

if you start taking the box off now, you will definatly make to work tomarrow :)

GottaBeJeep said:
I just drilled the threads out, got a longer bolt, and put a nylock nut on the other side.

I did this on the trail, without the drilling. Just put a washer and nut on the back side with a longer bolt out of the toolbox.

i guess i freaked out and made a bigger deal than it is. however, i dropped it off because i don't have the time until sunday to do this so i'd rather pay for the local guys ($60/hr for anything) to take care of it for me. having them throw in some extra coil isolators while they're at it.

i actually got a free box to test it out, so i'm debating whether or not to have them throw the new one in or just re-tap the old one. if they have to lower it to access the threads to tap it anyways, it probably won't be too much more to just remove it and throw the new one in.

any idea how many hours labor this takes to replace? doesn't seem like more than 1-2 tops to me, but then again, i always break and ruin everything. thanks guys

on a side note, my bumper looks good atleast!

ahaha thats funny because SteelblueSteve and I had the same problem when we were installing his bumper this last weekend

we got every bolt off with no problem then the last steering box bolt snapped off in the steering box...then we drilled it half way out then used and EZ out..then that snapped off...then we had to start ALL OVER

All and all we started at noon and didnt end until around 8:30..we finally gave up after we cross treaded the one of the bolts trying to install the new winch bumper...sorry that didnt really help but i feel your pain:lecture:

GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

steelmen said:
ahaha thats funny because SteelblueSteve and I had the same problem when we were installing his bumper this last weekend

we got every bolt off with no problem then the last steering box bolt snapped off in the steering box...then we drilled it half way out then used and EZ out..then that snapped off...then we had to start ALL OVER

All and all we started at noon and didnt end until around 8:30..we finally gave up after we cross treaded the one of the bolts trying to install the new winch bumper...sorry that didnt really help but i feel your pain:lecture:

GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

Yeah, that was the soooooooo f-in funny. E-Z outs like to eat up drill bits, and broken steering box bolts do a pretty good job of that, too. My arms still hurt, Sam. But I'm doing the drill through, longer bolt with nut on back side thing as well. I was able the catch the cross threading pretty early, backed out the screw, and cleaned up the hole with a 7/16 tap, that saved my ass on that hole.

had a local guy fix it for me...is now all set. also had him throw in 2 extra pairs of coil isolators for a little lift, so some good came out of it.

Back