• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission flush

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
just following up on an old post. I'm taking my 87 XJ in for a tranny flush, about 6months ago I dropped the pan and changed the filter and most of the fluid (other than the stuff in the torque converter) with ATF+3 (its what they gave me at the dealer). After hearing a little about how the AW4 can be a little twichy around ATF+3 I've decided I want it flushed. I've noticed that from a cold start my jeep takes a little bit to get up to speed, the revs are a bit high and its not really accellerating that much. I know this is symtomatic of transmission slip but, it goes away very quickly and its just kind of minor (I might be going a little short of 3000 rpm while still accellerating through 40 kph) but after asking on here I've decided its better to be safe than sorry with the ATF+3. I have just talked to my local Canadian Tire which is the only place around here that has a machine that can do a transmission flush. After talking to them they have told me that they can do the flush without dropping the pan (which was a royal PITA the last time because we had to get the dipstick out which involved torching off the O ring for it) but they mentioned somthing about using "multi grade" ATF thats compatible with synthetic and all kinds of stuff. I've never heard of this stuff before and I just don't know. They said somthing else that because its a Chrysler Transmission its going to shake and shudder if they don't put the right fluid in it but this is what worries me, I had to correct them, mine is an AMC and the AW4 transmission in it is from Toyota and it needs Dexron III. I'm starting to have second thoughts about them. My only other option would be to do it myself and just drain it and refill a few times with Dexron III. I think I am going to go in to talk to them but I wanted to run this by you guys first.

Sounds like they are trying to give you the run around. If you want it done by them I would not talk to them at all about what is going on, dont srgue withthem or anything. Just tell them exactly what it is that they are to do and bring in about 13 quarts fo the Dex III. Better check and see exactly how much fluid needs to go in it but I think it is 12.8qt or close to that. How many miles are on the AW4

about 233,600 are on the AW4. I would have to do some digging to find out the last time the transmission was serviced before I changed it 6 months ago (I have all the recipts from the origional owner, my great uncle).

I should probably have added that it was 233,600 kilometers on it. I have a spare AW4 from a parts truck that has around 170,000 kilometers on it but I'm not going to go changing that until I have to.

Back