• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel Wont Centre After Wheel Alignment

PlayStation

NAXJA Forum User
:helpme: :helpme:

Hi guys,

I need help. I had a minor accident with my 96 Country RHD. Most of the damage was underneath and i had to change the tie rods as well as the ends. also changed the steering box.

The problem is that after having the wheels aligned the steering wheel fails to centre and is tilted towards the right. i have tried to centre the steering wheel severally but am still not successful. The problem is that the tie rod and the tie rod end meet inside the adjustment sleeve before the steering wheel gets centred. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

:helpme: :helpme: :helpme:

PlayStation said:
:helpme: :helpme:
The problem is that after having the wheels aligned the steering wheel fails to centre and is tilted towards the right. i have tried to centre the steering wheel severally but am still not successful. The problem is that the tie rod and the tie rod end meet inside the adjustment sleeve before the steering wheel gets centred. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

:helpme: :helpme: :helpme:
Go the opposite direction. There should be enough adjustment to take the steering wheel all the way around. If not, pulling the steering wheel is your only option.

If you pull the steering wheel, there is a plug on top of the steering wheel and a bolt inside. Back this bolt all the way out before removing the air bag. This disarms it.

Tom

Hi Tom.

Thanks for your response. The problem with going the opposite direction is that yes the steering wheel will be centred but the wheel alignment will be lost.

As for pulling the wheel i aint very sure what you mean by pulling the wheel. if you mean removing the steering wheel and then aligning at a the proper angle that too would not be possible. this is so coz the steering wheel can only be inserted into the column in one direction only. kindly let me know what you mean by pulling. Thx.

Ed.

I agree that you need to turn the drag link sleeve the other way until the steering wheel goes all the way around. Its true this will throw the rest of your alignment off a little but thats the answer to your problem.
If a shop did the alignment, the answer is easier, take it back to them and explain what they need to do to it.

thanks guys but no solution yet. i have gone through the adjustments with the alignments experts without any success. when the steering wheel is centred the alignment is totally lost not off just a little. the normal adjustments simply wont work meaning there must be something wrong with the suspension. question is whats wrong with the suspension and what needs to be done.

the drag link is not bent. actually nothing is bent down there. could it be a chassis problem (most unlikely). is there a way of knowing whether the front suspension is positioned at its rightful place and has not shifted to one side. would the positioning of the stabilizer bar and/or the links somehow have any effect.

Double check the drag link my friend, I bounced my 94 off a wall and didn't see any noticeable problems and I couldn't get my XJ aligned or my steering wheel straight. I later said screw it and pulled off my drag link and trac bar to find no witness marks, and no paint missing, but my trc bar was bent a considerable amount(2"). Double check everything. :gag:

A bent track bar? That would shift the entire axle to one side.

How do you know suspension pieces aren't bent?? Did you replace them with new? You said it was because of an accident. Out of alignment after an accident, is usually due to bent suspension pieces or uni-body.

I'm fortunate to be a Service Advisor at a Dodge dealer in oregon. I asked one of my techs to look at everything. He didn't find anything wrong either. I needed to replace my Trac Bar anyway. Pulled it off, and voila, it was smoked. I had to reinforce a couple things with some welds and some steel plates. Check out your front end gear against stock gear to make sure it's not bent. I had NO witness marks anywhere.

Did the alignment come out ok, except for the steering wheel? Is the axle centered under the vehicle?

PlayStation said:
when the steering wheel is centered the alignment is totally lost not off just a little. .

You do know that you can lengthen the drag link and NOT push the alignment way out by unlocking the steering wheel and letting it turn freely.
Put the Jeep on a rack with the passenger tire straight, unlock your steering wheel and adjust your drag link until the steering wheel is straight, then adjust the tow on the drivers side. Its not rocket science. Assuming nothing is bent (which you say it isnt), theres no reason for the wheel to not center.

LABMBA87I'm fortunate to be a Service Advisor at a Dodge dealer in oregon. I asked one of my techs to look at everything. He didn't find anything wrong either. I needed to replace my Trac Bar anyway. Pulled it off, and voila, it was smoked. I had to reinforce a couple things with some welds and some steel plates. Check out your front end gear against stock gear to make sure it's not bent. I had NO witness marks anywhere.14 Hours Ago 17:39Rick AndersonA bent track bar? That would shift the entire axle to one side.

How do you know suspension pieces aren't bent?? Did you replace them with new? You said it was because of an accident. Out of alignment after an accident, is usually due to bent suspension pieces or uni-body.14 Hours Ago 17:38LABMBA87Double check the drag link my friend, I bounced my 94 off a wall and didn't see any noticeable problems and I couldn't get my XJ aligned or my steering wheel straight. I later said screw it and pulled off my drag link and trac bar to find no witness marks, and no paint missing, but my trc bar was bent a considerable amount(2"). Double check everything. :gag:

Come to think of it.... everything down there including the front axle was replaced but i dont recall changing the trac rod. mhhhhh i think thats the answer to my problem. will have it changed this coming weeeknd and hopefully my issue will be sorted out. and yes, the axle on the right hand side appears slightly out of tune with the left side (its RHD 96 XJ).

Thanks guys. feedback after i replace the part and maybe the stabilizer bar too.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lickout:

Ray H said:
I agree that you need to turn the drag link sleeve the other way until the steering wheel goes all the way around. Its true this will throw the rest of your alignment off a little but thats the answer to your problem.
If a shop did the alignment, the answer is easier, take it back to them and explain what they need to do to it.

I don't see how adjusting the draglink sleeve can throw out wheel alignment....can you explain?I thought adjusting the drag link sleeve affects steering wheel position only?
I admit it,I'm not too bright when it comes to steering geometry.

outlander said:
I don't see how adjusting the draglink sleeve can throw out wheel alignment....can you explain?I thought adjusting the drag link sleeve affects steering wheel position only?
I admit it,I'm not too bright when it comes to steering geometry.

Me too...... I dont see how adjusting the drag link can change wheel alignment.... only steering wheel position.

outlander said:
I admit, I'm not too bright when it comes to steering geometry.

The procedure below is for wheel alignment as described in the FSM. Apparently drag link is for teh toe-in position for the right hand wheel (for LHD vehicles) and the tie rod adjusts the other wheel.

"TOE POSITION (LHD)
NOTE: The wheel toe position adjustment is the
final adjustment. The engine must remain running
during the entire toe position adjustment.
(1) Start the engine and turn wheels both ways
before straightening the wheels. Secure the steering
wheel with the front wheels in the straight-ahead
position.
(2) Loosen the adjustment sleeve clamp bolts (Fig.
3).
(3) Adjust the right wheel toe position with the
drag link. Turn the sleeve until the right wheel is at
correct TOE-IN specifications. Position the clamp
bolts as shown (Fig. 4) and tighten to 49 N·m (36 ft.
lbs.).
NOTE: Make sure the toe setting does not change
during clamp tightening.
(4) Adjust the left wheel toe position with the tie
rod. Turn the sleeve until the left wheel is at specifications.
Position the clamp bolts as shown (Fig. 4)
and tighten to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.).
NOTE: Make sure the toe setting does not change
during clamp tightening.
(5) Verify the right toe setting and turn off engine.
(6) Road test the vehicle on a flat level road to verify.0
the steering wheel is centered.
NOTE: Once the toe setting is correct, the steering
wheel can be re-centered by adjusting only the drag link.

PlayStation said:

The procedure below is for wheel alignment as described in the FSM. Apparently drag link is for teh toe-in position for the right hand wheel (for LHD vehicles) and the tie rod adjusts the other wheel.

"TOE POSITION (LHD)

(3) Adjust the right wheel toe position with the
drag link. Turn the sleeve until the right wheel is at
correct TOE-IN specifications.

NOTE: Once the toe setting is correct, the steering

wheel can be re-centered by adjusting only the drag link.

Hmmm interesting..... but now im confused.
In note (3) it says to adjust the toe for the right wheel w/ the drag link......
.where is the measurement taken from? It cant be the inside of the other tire, because then you wouldnt need to adjust the tie rod once toe is set.
Then it says to center the steering wheel ajust the drag link???? Isnt that going to change the adjustment you just made for toe on the right wheel????
I dont understand. I think the majority of people out there set toe by the tierod & just use the drag link for centering the s/wheel. Are we all doing it wrong.
please explain!

outlander said:
Ok,enquiring minds want to know!!

Ok, adjusting the drag link does knock the tow out much but it does effect it some (especially on lifted Jeeps). Heres why. If you lengthen the drag link, the distance between the passenger wheel and the pitman arm is lengthened. The drag link must drop down a set distance. If youre up on your geometry, you know that if the vertical drop of the drag link is the same, and the horizontal distance (where the axle sits under the vehicle) is the same, but you lengthen the hypotenuse (the length of the drag link) then the angle of the hypotenuse will decrease. The decreaed angle translates to the tie rod as well and will cause a tow out condition. Thats why you adjust the passenger side and steering wheel first, then move to the drivers side after everything else is correct. (Its funny, I asked the very same question a couple months ago and it didnt make much sense to me until I drew myself a picture)
its also why, centering the steering wheel should not knock the alignment out if the alignment was done the way it shouldve been. The steering wheel shouldve been done before the tow.

Back