• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painting rust????

Jimbo_1321

NAXJA Forum User
so I searched but couldn't find anything...
somewhere I read about a primer that was sprayed onto rust and it just turned it into more primer... or something along those lines.
if anyone knows what I'm talking about or if you've had any experiences please let me know.
thanks.

I know you can paint Rustoleums Hammerite paints over rust, with no problems. You might be able to get away with it with one of their primers too, but not totally sure.

Also, Eastwood sells some products that can go over rust. Check them out.

You're talking about a "rust coverter."

I don't know about anything that comes in a rattle can, but I've use Rust-Mort with good results - it's better than Naval Jelly.

Naval Jelly can be found at most hardware stores, and Rust-Mort can be found at better-stocked parts houses (find one that caters to body & paint shops.) Follow the directions, then paint.

Whatever you use, be sure to use a wire brush (handheld or low-speed power) to remove anything loose on the surface, or you'll be doing the job again.

Jimbo_1321 said:
so I searched but couldn't find anything...
somewhere I read about a primer that was sprayed onto rust and it just turned it into more primer... or something along those lines.
if anyone knows what I'm talking about or if you've had any experiences please let me know.
thanks.

Several companies make the stuff. Its generally refered to as "rust converter" the stuff from Eastwood works well but I also keep a can of converter I got from AutoZone or someplace for smaller jobs.

Theres an industrial rust converter that works better than any called Ospho.

It's mostly used in marine applications, and is the best i've ever used.

A little spendy, but it comes in a gallon jug, and you just put it in a spray bottle.

walmart in the auto paint section has rust converter in rattle can and a little bottle. My friend and I have used it a few times and it does alright. It has a black label, i cant think of the name of the top of my head. You'll have to clean off all the loose stuff then coat it. if the rust is pitted we used primer to fill it in some then sanded it smooth later.

POR - Pain Over Rust. It's pricey and it works really well.
Comes with a kit, you spray liquid first... let dry. Then brush on the special POR paint. Super heavy duty like Powdercoat.
Good stuff.

Back