• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not starting at night, flooding?

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
have a wierd problem with my 89 4.0. It doesn't like to start at night. last night went out and cranked it over, nothing. Tried a several more times and nothing. Have fuel pressure and after awhile could def. smell gas. Let it sit for a half hour and tried again still no start.

Left it till this morning and it started right up. Ran fine all day. Tongiht again at school same exact responce as the the other night. Had it towed home and going to work on it tommorrow. Any ideas of what it might be. It's been cooler out at night mid 30's to low 40's. Doesn't sound like it's got spark, going to check the distributor and coil. Any other suggestions?

Classic cracked dist cap almost. Cept mine always did it after sitting overnite.

wish it was that easy. Checked the cap and it seemed okay, replaced it just to be sure, its cheap. Still no spark, so then I tried to check the coil, ended up replacing it and still no spark. Thinking that I may had some of my wiring come loose from the push start I push in I rewired everything to original still no start. What to check after the coil?

clean and replug the CPS sensor? possible moisture is entering there as well.

I am thinking cps, altough I hate jumping on the cps bandwagon its the only piece that makes sence. I just had a buddy come over to check it the plugs were sparking. When I pulled the plug it was dry. If the engien was flooding and no spark the plugs should be wet. So I did unplugging the CPS routine and we went to check for spark and the dumb thing started up. Guess I need to get a CPS.

I'd try some oxgard on the CPS connection before I went through all the trouble of changing it.
Of course, I'd go and buy a spare and keep it in the glovebox, with the 3 feet of extensions you need to change it.

Back