• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator cap question

XJ9888

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here is the deal, i own a 98 XJ and i know exactly where the radiator cap is. A buddy of mine just bought a 88 XJ and to be honest with you... we cant find the radiator cap!!!!!!! not sure if the thing has been in a wreck or not, it has 230k(amen to I6). Anyone have a 88 and know where the cap is? Pictures would be great or maybe im just stupid and cant find it. And no, the radiator cap is not on the overflow tank.

The coolant recovery bottle on the rear firewall has the pressure cap on it. The cooling system on your friend's XJ is a "closed system" and therefore the radiator itself doesn't have a cap.

Firewall, up top, passenger side.

There's a white plastic tank that looks like a "football" or a "turtle" (it's been called both) with a black cap on it - that's the pressure cap.

Like radiator caps, it does want replacing at intervals. Also, if you've still got the original radiator and you're anywhere between 150-200kMiles, plan on getting a new radiator. The OEM ones last about that long - replace with CSF (or was that GDI?) or Modine. Performance Radiator is also not too bad.

The white plastic tank also wants occasional replacing - you're probably due. Get them with the cap from outfits like Morris 4x4 Center (www.morris4x4center.com) for fairly cheap - I think I got the last batch for about $25, tank and cap. Twice that locally - so it's worth ordering...

Back