• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on lock-rites

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

ive got an aussie up front right now with 35s. its been great. my buddies got a jeep with 31 inch All terrains, and a lock rite in the rear, and has REALLY impressed me with where he could go. most of the stuff were into is hill climbs, trails, mud, etc...no rocks here. im thinking about locking my rear in may for my b-day. i dont want to drop a lot of money on an ARB, OX, etc, because i know these axles aren't going to be what im settling with..im not even regearing them because of that. just for the last summer im home, i want to have the most capable rig, then im off to college.

hows its DD habits.

how about a write up on the install. ive done all the work to my jeep, so im sure i can do this...just would like to have an idea of what im supposed to do once i get under there. mainly how to deal with the c-clips, pull axle shafts, etc:wave1:

its a 1995. 27 spline chry 8.25. some may say it wont be strong enough, but the same people wouldn't believe what ive put my locked d30 through locked with 35s. i thought about getting a 29 spline locker, and getting some 29 spline chromos. but by the time i did that (about~500 bucks) i could easily have begun building a d44 or ford 8.8.

IXNAYXJ, a member on here, used to run a locked(with a lock right) 27 spl. 8.25, for a few years, with Zero problems. Now, it is in another members rig, and he has not had a single problem either. IXNAYXJ had it on 33's and 34's. Now the other member, has it on 35's, IIRC.

Keep out of the throttle, and you should be fine.

Also, they(axle companies) dont make a lunchbox locker for the 29 spl. 8.25. There is an ARB, though. There is one member on there, DJblade... something or rather... that says he has a Detroit EZ locker(lunchbox style) for his 29 spline, but I have had NO luck finding a part number or even anyone who sells it. You can get a Trash Lock for the 29 spl. IIRC.

well the powertrax is considered a lunch box so they do make lunchbox's for the 29 spline

and if i wanted something that had great DD habits, and knew i was sticking with 32-33s, id go with that. but i want to keep it around 300, and then start saving for a ford 8.8

lock rites in the rear are invisible. i had no problems running mine in 2wd with 36s on the street for a year.

I have the powertrax in mine with 36K on it no problems yet. I do use full synt gear oil and change it regularly - avg 6k miles or so when I wheel in mud or water- This with 33" tires and 4.56 gears. I would do it if you can swing it.

CanMan [FONT=Verdana said:
Also, they(axle companies) dont make a lunchbox locker for the 29 spl. 8.25. There is an ARB, though. There is one member on there, DJblade... something or rather... that says he has a Detroit EZ locker(lunchbox style) for his 29 spline, but I have had NO luck finding a part number or even anyone who sells it. You can get a Trash Lock for the 29 spl. IIRC.[/FONT]

I ran a powertrax no-slip lunchbox in my 29 spline 8.25..

I wouldn't call any auto locker in the rear "invisible" since they do pop and ratchet around corners, and if you give to much gas when cornering, you'll lay down a little rubber. Takes some getting used to on icy/snowy/wet roads, as it wants to fish a little if you gas it. However, it is not as pronounced as in a shorter wheelbase vehicle, and you'll get used to it and adjust your driving habits accordingly...

Edit: BTW - my rear D44 has an aussie, and I have run a front lock-rite in the past...

Last edited:
Dual Lock-Rites here, rear 44 and front 30 with 4:56 and 33's. I just pulled the front locker out and it looks new with about 18K miles. I would buy one again..

Back