• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making high steer knuckles???

90hunkametal

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking into a high steer setup, but I dont want to spend alot of money on the dana 30 thats still in there. Is it possible to mig weld to the stock knuckle? Im just not sure what material the knuckle is made out of!?

90hunkametal said:
I was looking into a high steer setup, but I dont want to spend alot of money on the dana 30 thats still in there. Is it possible to mig weld to the stock knuckle? Im just not sure what material the knuckle is made out of!?

There is a reason nobody does it. An over-the-knuckle conversion is a reasonably cost effective upgrade for the turdy though.
Billy

CanMan said:
The only real way to do some sort of hi steer setup for a D30 is get the spendy DEO hi steer knuckle kit, which runs just about $1200(used to be $995, IIRC). http://www.downeastoffroad.com/HIGHSTEER.htm

Go for OTK steering, that would be your best bet, and the cheapest and safest way. My .02.

That kit seems OK. It looks like it uses a WJ RHD export knuckle on the driver side, and a US LHD knuckle on the passenger side. Not real sure why they don't just use the WJ calipers though, and the alignment dowel for the wheel bearing spacer looks a little sketchy to me. Looks like you can do that kit for cheaper than $1200 if you get the parts yourself and use the WJ calipers.

alright thanks guys, I am probly just going to keep it the way I have it for now, cause I plan on going to bigger axles in the future and I think it would be a waste for now. I was mainly trying to see what material the knuckle is made out of to see if its even possible to weld to.

90hunkametal said:
alright thanks guys, I am probly just going to keep it the way I have it for now, cause I plan on going to bigger axles in the future and I think it would be a waste for now. I was mainly trying to see what material the knuckle is made out of to see if its even possible to weld to.

Outer knuckles are cast steel. Welding to cast steel is acceptable in some situations, however I would not in this case.

Back