• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extra back up light wiring

Patrick

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, Just wondering if anyone could help me out with a wiring diagram for an extra back up light. My fog lights got a few rocks over the winter, one is toast, but one is still good. I mounted it on the trailer hitch but I'm not so good at the wiring part. should I wire it through a fuse? or put it through a relay?? Any help would be appreciated.

Wire it through a fuse and a relay. Have your reverse light hot wire power the relay so it will come on when you put the tranny in reverse.

Here is a set up for you. It will allow the light to come on in reverse, on all the time, or off all the time. Using a three way switch you can control it nicely.

The 12 factory back up lights wire goes to the one of the output terminals on the switch.
The other output needs a fused 12v positive.
The input to the switch goes to the low 86 terminal on the relay.
The 85 will go to ground.
The 30 terminal needs a fused 12v positive.
The 87 goes to the light.

DSCF1676.jpg

Nice setup scooby

Ya I did the same thing with my back up lights as Scooby did. I have tail light covers so they cover up the factory reverses, and you can't see anything. I have a double rocker switch that allows the lights to come on with the reverse because they are spliced, and then flip it up and they are off, and then the other side they come on through the battery, and are much brighter.

Back