• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rewelding spring mounts,..how to

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
re-positoning and re-welding the rear spring mounts on my Ford 8.8 and wanted to know what is the process to get all four tires to track the same-I'm unsure of where to measure from to check and see if the vehicle is square with the pinion of the Ford 8.8 outset to the passenger side and a slightly shorter axle lenght-In the past I've seen a few XJ's comeing down the street with the unibody tracking to the left and the tires driveing/tracking to the right-This is what I would like to avoid-If I remember correctly one way was to measure from some reference point and to have equal distance on each side of the axle between the brake backing plate and the spring mount-Could someone advise or point me to right process-TIA
bxj
Cool

If its the offset center section on the 8.8 you are worried about....dont. ESP if your running a SYE and if lifted you should be anyhow. The new shaft will happily run at this slight angle.

Just center the axle, weld the perches and call it good.

Its FINE on my TJ and that has about a 16" drive shaft!!!!

CW

Bxj ... The location of the pinion is not relevant in this case. Measure the distance between center pins on your stock set up. This is the same distance you will want to use for the centers of your 8.8 spring perches. Now measure between the back plates on the 8.8 axle, subtract the measurement from your stock set up, then divide by two. This is the distance you will want your perch centers from the back plates on your 8.8 axle. When drilling the holes for the center pins. center the hole over the top of the axle tube. This should center the tracking pretty close as your springs will locate the axle. HTH ...

Les

I just bolted mine in without welding the perches. Got very lucky as where we first put it the thing was dead center lol. Tacked the perches, tacked the shock mounts then pulled it out and welded it all up.

I have 6" of lift and No SYE and the offset pinion doesn't mess with me at all.

..thanks all-
..Again good sound and timely advice-Kinda hot for welding right now and for the present I'll be fireing the ole MIG up later this sultry evening(.been .very hot here in the Midwest this week..) to tack the spring mounts in their new positions-I have a hot enough amps MIG welder and I'm tempted to just weld everything up myself but I'm thinking that in the interest of haveing good quality welds and safety I will contract the job out to one of the local welding shops-
..thanks again
bxj

Back