• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quiet Muffler

Ben H

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a Flowmaster series 50 on my junk for 3 years now. I hate the noise, it is obnoxious.
My problem is that I go through catalytic converters a lot, about 3 a year (I am a bad driver and smash them up a bit), but my flowmaster is still pretty solid, with the exception of a couple of nice deep gouges it has really held up to a lot of abuse.

Is there a muffler out there that sounds like a stock muffler, but is built with durability in mind like a flowmaster.

Thanks

My stock muffler fell into peices and I didn't really have the money for a new system. I bought a 21 inch cherry bomb glasspack for 17.99 and I figured it would sound redneckish , but I needed a muffler my rig was running like crap. I stuck it in the end of the cat with a turn down and it sound damn good. It's nice and quiet during normal speed, but sound mean when you punch it. The muffler is pretty heavy duty steel.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thats a negative on a cherry bomb.

I think the 70 may be a little to big.

I will definately look into that dynomax.

Thanks again for the input, and keep the suggestions coming. Size is an issue.

Ben H said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Thats a negative on a cherry bomb.

I think the 70 may be a little to big.

I will definately look into that dynomax.

Thanks again for the input, and keep the suggestions coming. Size is an issue.

I have an idea for fitting a bigger muffler. Cut the floor out where the muffler is, build a floor over it. Get the biggest one you want, and still tuck it up

I wanted a "flow through" muffler and the muffler guy said a Magnaflow wouldn't be too noisy. He was dead on. It sounds very close to stock, not loud at all, maybe a bit throatier when I get on it. Other than that it's great.

Scrappy said:
I have an idea for fitting a bigger muffler. Cut the floor out where the muffler is, build a floor over it. Get the biggest one you want, and still tuck it up
thats so crazy it just might work, can you draw me some plans for that. Thanks. :cheers:

I dont know how to weld. Can we make it out of wood?

Plans? Ok.. go buy a muffler you want. Then cut to fit. How is that?

:gag:Why even bother putting a floor back in. The fumes couldnt be all that bad for me, they might actually help.

ParadiseXJ said:
I wanted a "flow through" muffler and the muffler guy said a Magnaflow wouldn't be too noisy. He was dead on. It sounds very close to stock, not loud at all, maybe a bit throatier when I get on it. Other than that it's great.

How sturdy is that Magnaflow? Can it take a beating?

Ben, if you want a muffler that can double as a skid plate, take a look at the Edelbrock SDT mufflers. They are bulletproof; all welded seams with a ceramic coating.

I installed one last week on my 96. It has a deep tone at idle and sounds incredible up to about 1400 rpm, and then quietens down until at highway speeds it sounds no louder than stock.

I've had glass packs, Morosos, Flowmeisters, IMCOs, turbos, etc, on these 4.0's, and nothing sounds as unique as the Edelbrock.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Ben, if you want a muffler that can double as a skid plate, take a look at the Edelbrock SDT mufflers. They are bulletproof; all welded seams with a ceramic coating.

I installed one last week on my 96. It has a deep tone at idle and sounds incredible up to about 1400 rpm, and then quietens down until at highway speeds it sounds no louder than stock.

I've had glass packs, Morosos, Flowmeisters, IMCOs, turbos, etc, on these 4.0's, and nothing sounds as unique as the Edelbrock.
That is a pretty inovative product, just read up on it and its pretty trick. I am really looking for something more quiet though. I am leaning towards the Magnaflow.

Last edited:
Back