• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Aiming

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Just a thought with all the lifts and constant adjustments we do to our rigs, I've done a search and couldnt find info on headlight aiming, this is probably in the owners manual but does anyone have tips on the proper way to have the headlights aimed? With all the headlight and loom upgrades I would love to know the right way to do this, if someone could point me in the right direction, thanks.

I do it in a flat parking lot, use the blank wall of an end building, measure the height from ground to the center bar on my Hella E codes, transfer that measurement to the wall and shoot a chalk line. Park the XJ about 20ft away and turn on the lights, I adjust both so the horizontal cutoff is below the chalk line. Then I adjust my Hella 450 fogs under that. Rain washes the chalkline off.

Just like wheel alignment, you don't need expensive tools, you can do it yourself as long as the extensive time and measuring are worth it too, instead of just taking it to a garage and have them do it.

Look up the spec for headlight aiming, it usually X" down and Y" right of center point of the headlamp at Z' away. Usually 25', but with a little simple geometry/trigonometry you could calculate that for a shorter distance. Get a big piece of cardboard and mark the points and then move it back with a way to ensure its lined up still. (Cheap laser pointers can do that quickly) and adjust the center of the beam.

But these improvised techniques, require that you measure again and again to make sure you've got everything lined up accurately, adjust and measure again and again, it gets into hours that your doing. When you could just run down to your local garage and have them use their professional tool that can do it in minutes.

Back