• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Runs rough after restarts while wheeling a while

ewander

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 2000 XJ with 35's, low gears, lockers, etc.... The gine is completely stock with the exception of a cold air intake and a flowmaster exhaust. Lately (last weekend) after wheeling for about a hour in Moab on Poision Spider Mesa, I would turn it off for a break, turn it back on and it would act like the air was plugged or the catalytic converter was plugged, or something, when I would step on the gas it was very slow to rev up. It would also start the check engine light. It did this every time I turned it off. It would eventually run normal after a couple of minutes and it doesn't do this in normal driving.

Any ideas? If I take it to a place to have the check engine light checked, can they pull the last few check engine light codes?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

i had the same problem, referred to the tsb, installed that cheap little injector cover, and it solved the problem. it still seems like it wants to run rough, but this did eliminate 90% of the problem. it acts as a heat shield and keeps the fuel from evaporating, according to the tsb. either pick up that part, or make it yourself from a heat resistant wire cover material. (like the wire loom people use all the time in their engine bays) less than $10 fix.

ewander said:
Where's the best place to get the injector cover?
Dealer.
I usually just leave my 2000 running, or open the hood if I'm going to be stopped for a little while. You could also set up a manual override on the fan so it will run with the ignition off. Just don't forget it's on, and run your battery dead.

Back