• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tint Question

AdL33

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, i'm going to be getting a 1991 XJ soon and was wondering for anyone who has tint on theirs how much it ran you for the rear and four windows? I tinted my old car but it was a smaller sports car so it was cheaper. Just wanted to get an estimate from other jeep owners!

My mom had a pathfinder which is basically the same size as an XJ, we got all the windows tinted to 15% for $205. I dont know if thats good or not but thats what they charged us.

Well mine came with tint, but i went with a friend to pick his XJ up after tinting all the windows, only cost him 70 bucks at some local small shop, looks great and still holds up.

it differs from area to area, what type of tint they use, what kind of warranty they offer, if they are a reputable shop that has people waiting to get work done there, for example, in greenboro I was quoted $115 for ONLY the two front windows to match the rear, in high point(10 miles away) I was quoted $25 to match the rear, as you can imagine $115 comes from a great shop that I would trust my car with, who uses the top of the line tint and has a lifetime warranty, the $25 place uses tint from Advance Auto, offers no warranty at all and I wouldn't trust them with my left shoe let alone my car, so I still don't have tinted front windows cause for $115 for good work I can deal without it, just make sure that whatever shop does the work has a no peel, no crack, no fade warranty and I hope the good shops around you are cheaper than here

tint shade doesnt matter. well around here at least. anyways i got the back for limo and the front 2 a 22% and it was $200

Cool, I'm thinking about getting 35% all around, I think that's the lightest you can get basically like SUV tint on new cars. Does anyone have any pictures of their jeep and 35%? I like to have my tint the same all around I don't like having two different shades in the front and back. I use to have a DSM and I got mine done with a lifetime warranty and I talked to another shop who said they would do a Jeep for $225 with a lifetime warranty and they do good work so that sounds like a good deal, I will have to try to find this ebay vendor though that sells the pre-cut tint.

Easiest windows I have ever tinted- they are all flat! no compund curves!,spent more time claening them than tinting them

AdL33 said:
Cool, I'm thinking about getting 35% all around, I think that's the lightest you can get basically like SUV tint on new cars. Does anyone have any pictures of their jeep and 35%? I like to have my tint the same all around I don't like having two different shades in the front and back. I use to have a DSM and I got mine done with a lifetime warranty and I talked to another shop who said they would do a Jeep for $225 with a lifetime warranty and they do good work so that sounds like a good deal, I will have to try to find this ebay vendor though that sells the pre-cut tint.

35% is light when the sun is hitting hit will hardly look like you tinted it. Kind of pointless. I would at least do 20% on the rear doors back and 35% on the front 2 if you are worried about it being dark. I paid $75 for my front 2 with a lifetime warranty and I think the shop charges between $175-220 for the complete car/truck

What's all this about $100-$200 for window tinting? Can't believe people who rebuild suspensions and transmissions don't resort to DIY for their windows!

I bought a couple of rolls of silver reflective mirror-tint stuff, and with the help of water, washing-up liquid, a sponge, a pair of scissors and what we in the UK call a Stanley knife, did the side and rear windows of my XJ in a couple of hours. Total cost about $15...

Kept the inside of the Jeep nice and cool when I was out in the desert, too.

br1anstorm

br1anstorm said:
What's all this about $100-$200 for window tinting? Can't believe people who rebuild suspensions and transmissions don't resort to DIY for their windows!

I bought a couple of rolls of silver reflective mirror-tint stuff, and with the help of water, washing-up liquid, a sponge, a pair of scissors and what we in the UK call a Stanley knife, did the side and rear windows of my XJ in a couple of hours. Total cost about $15...

Kept the inside of the Jeep nice and cool when I was out in the desert, too.

br1anstorm

yea, but tinting work can be a little difficult and I don't want to screw it up. I'd rather have someone that has done it alot as I want it to look nice.

Its pretty straight forward (unless you have compound curves,then you get into heatshrinking, splicing)Keep your work area wet,soak floors,car ect, lghtly mist your clothing and upholstery so you don't get rap in your tint job Make sure the glass is clean inside and out, start with a good strong glass cleaner and a kitchen scrubber, make your way upto razor blades ,then to paper towel then spray and squeegee several times. Use a pressurized sprayer with tint slution or 1 tsp baby shampoo and 1 liter di water (or boiled) . Throw your tint on the outside of the glass and lightly squeegee it in place leaving the peel away film on to the outside because you are making a template to install on the inside of the glass. Have a buddy hold a bright light on the inside of the glass and you cut the outer perimeter of the tint to fit the glass (nice straight lines!!). So you should have a peice of tint that closely resembles your glass,now make sure it fits the inside before you go any further!!easier to trim now than later and make sure too leave the liner on the tint util you are ready to install it.. Now carefully peel back the clear backing and soak it down as you peel,soak down the inside of the glass (fine mist). Now grap the tint with wetted fingers and slowly spread it out on the inside of the glass. You can slide it into place and start squeeging it from the center out.Once you think you have all the water out start again with a stiff credit card with a fine soft cloth wrapped aroud it, and press firmly and squeegee again from the center out. Any large amounts of water left behind will create huge bubbles a year or two down the road. Some hazing,small bubbles will go away in a day or two. If you cut your tint a little too small you can get 1/8 to 1/4 inch solid black striping (usually on a roll of 50ft) and out line the glass on the outside,it will be hard too see and it will cover up any gaps you made from cutting uneven or too short. Just practice a few times,find a staright flat peice of glass and practice cleaning and applying the tint.

Back