• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would a bad MAP sensor cause surging?

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a surging sometimes when keeping constant pressure on the gas pedal. Plugs, wires, rotot, cap, and TPS are about a year old. I just replaced the coil to try to help, it didn't. Throttle body was nasty and has been cleaned.

have you cleaned the whole intake or just the tb? If you removed the tb to clean it, I would suggest you run some Seafoam through it while installed.

A bad CPS doesn't cause surging but a bad TPS does. I know yours is still fairly new Matt but it's possible for the sensor to go bad after a year. You might want to check the wiring harness connector to the TPS because these can also go bad and have poor wire contacts. Wiggle it slightly while the engine's running and see if it causes the engine to surge.

I just cleaned the tb. Seafoam won't kill my o2 sensors will it? I've read that it can cause this. I've run it through before, but right before I changed them anyway. I guess I could try a new tps and take it back if it doesn't help. When I put the "new" one on, I just unscrewed and replaced it exactly like the old one. The isn't any trick to it that I missed is there?

Back