• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky backseat latches?

knottshawk

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure someone has come up with a brilliant way to silence the squeaky backseat latches....so, what do I need to do? Oh...and save the "remove the backseat" suggestions. ;)

a light coating of gear oil to the two little posts worked fine for more than a month.

White Lithium Grease (the almost universally recommended body lubricant), get it in a tub or tube and use a small acid brush (local hardware store in welding supply) to apply directly to the affected areas. This method is NOT nearly as messy as using the sprays you find on the auto store shelfs.

If you already have some anti-seize for spark plugs (and your too cheap to buy the WLG) that might work well, but it can get messy and stain far worse then the gear oil or WLG.

I wrapped the posts a couple times with some electrical tape. Made a significant difference and was simple and cheap and no mess. Might give it a shot.

Yeah, mine are so oily now I hope I can get the tape to stick! I was considering surgical tubing....On my old jeep I slammed some denim in the posts... that worked well, but was ugly :D

Last edited:
I like the tape idea because it will take up any slop in the latch, less messy to. Just clean the oil on the posts of with a rag with a little solvent on it before adding tape.

Back