• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 5 speed motor swap

jeepin270

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 91 4.0, I would like to put a 95 in. I plan on taking the sleeve on a 91 pilot bushing to a machine shop, they are going to machine down to 1.0 the inside size of the 95 crankshaft. Will this work?

Nobody else has answered this, so I'll take a stab at it.

When I put a remanned motor into my '91, I got a new clutch kit that came with 2 pilot bearings of different sizes ... I would assume one was for earlier motors, and one was for later motors.

Why not just use a different sized pilot bearing?

I have search everywhere trying to find a pb that would work. I have talked to advance adapters and several other places, nobody makes a pilot bearing that will work. The only solution that I have come up with is to have 91 sleeve machined down or have a special bronze bushing made. I have the 91 bushing but I want to know if it is going to work before I go paying a machine shop to do this for nothing. I had my motor out getting ready to put the new motor in when I discovered this. So back went the junk motor and here I am.

The pilot bearing should be the same if the motors are both from manual tranny's!!! If the motor you are putting in is from a Auto tranny then you will need the bushing to go into the end of the crank that the the Pilot bearing sits in. Best bet is to call your local jeep dealer to see about that bushing if your new motor is from an auto. I'm doing a '92 to '99 swap and the 99 is from an auto. looking at the motor it to is without that bushing so I will be looking for one!!

I am interested in hearing how your 92 to 99 swap goes. You are right, I am swapping a auto motor in. I just picked up the machined 91 pilot bushing today. It cost me 30 bucks. I have talked to all the jeep dealers in my area, they don't make one that will fit.

Back