• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

L.E.D stop and turn signals. Has anyone used those ?

98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What brand, what size w/o major fabrication involved.
I got super bright LEDs and they arent so bright.....Actually can't see squat if sunlight pointed directly at them !!!
TIA

I got replacement for 3157 LED bulb type

They are really bright when out of lenses, but put them back and they not as nearly bright as incadesent bulbs i've replced...
I know i could close up rear lenses(or do some fabrication in this matter) and install some fancy LED lihgts, but is there something else I can use instead?
TIA

Did you just replace the incadesent bulbs with LED's??? If so than NO, they just wont be bright enough. Remember that LED's do not benefit at all from the reflectors like the standard bulbs did. Sorry, but the only way to get the benefits from LED's is to replace the whole fixture, that will require some fab and considerable expense.

Rev

I used some LEDs I got from www.buytruckstuff.com, they were kind of pricey but cheaper than replacing smashed tailights all the time. They're so bright that it hurts your eyes to look at them at night and during the day they're still way brighter than stock.

rear.jpg

Auto Zone and Advance both stock LED "bulbs" to replace the stock bulbs...not enough room for enough LEDS per "bulb" to make them as bright as a conventional bulb. There is a real problem with seeing them in the daylight if you are not directly behind.

The real advantage of LED's is their immunity to vibration...the high frequency vibration from my motor at 11K RPM on my dragbike will kill a conventional bulb in one or two 1/4 mile passes...I installed LED bulbs...end of problem.

You could go to a HD truck center and get LED trailer lights they are plenty bright...rubber body with the bulbs imbedded...would be a challenge to fit and EXTREMELY expensive...

MudDawg said:
You could go to a HD truck center and get LED trailer lights they are plenty bright...rubber body with the bulbs imbedded...would be a challenge to fit and EXTREMELY expensive...

Someone on these forums runs truck LEDs. There were pictures posted. Whoever it was (my apologies for not remembering) removed the stock tail lights and made custom sheet metal boxes to hold commercial truck-grade LED light units. It looked very nice.

Try running a search. I'm sure it was on the Mod Forum.

Sort of on this subject, does anyone know where to get Bulk Brake lense?
Like small sheets?

I think quite a few people on here have switched to truck LEDs. I used 3/8" steel instead of sheetmetal, but I didn't cover the entire rear 1/4 like some have. The lights were cheap ($20 or so) and yes, they're incredibly bright.

slow server. sorry.

done09.jpg

Eagle said:
Someone on these forums runs truck LEDs. There were pictures posted. Whoever it was (my apologies for not remembering) removed the stock tail lights and made custom sheet metal boxes to hold commercial truck-grade LED light units. It looked very nice.

Try running a search. I'm sure it was on the Mod Forum.

Mine are mounted in 3/16 boxes. See the above pic?

Ya, I used Groat brand LED tail lights in steel panels I made...
Rubicon_148.jpg

...and the lights are extremely bright. :D
FarmerMatt has also done something similar(before I did mine) as well as a few others.

Jes

double vison

i prefer this style for the custom tailights that I made. However mine are just the standard sealed bulbs, but I could go to LED 'poser' at a moments notice. I can buy quite a few at about 5 bucks a piece before I'm up to the LED price...

mac 'nearly indestructable' gyvr

1061798833_Dscf0039.jpg

how much were the clear reverse lights? and where did you get them? the trailer store i tried didn't stock them and said they couldn't ( or maybe wouldn't ) get them for me. TIA

If you're talking about mine they're Truck-Lite model 30 with a incandescent bulb. They're merely for a reverse indicator and don't light anything up while backing at night.
I really want some clear LED backup lights but they don't make them in that size yet.

Jes

Back