• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ intake manifold swap Problem Need Help Now!

OCMI_Teddy

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a 99+ intake manifold on my 96 XJ. everything is connected correctly. The engine starts up and idles REALLY rough and smokes from the front 2 cylinders, oil PSI is normal. I would like to beable to drive home tonight and the garage is closing. Thanks abunch.

Any trouble codes? Maybe let it warm up for a few minutes. Maybe check the fuel pressure, air fuel ratio if possible. Double check to make sure everything is tightened to spec, sometimes you may miss a thing or two.

If you used a new gasket it could just be it burning.... probly not but thats what i would think. If not its probly a sealing issue with the gasket or something else was wrong with the engine. I dont think the manifold itself would change that. I would let it run for a couple minutes to see if it would work itself out.

I did the OBII scanner. code p0206 injector ciruit malfunction. I've tried sticking the plug in as much as possible. Is the 6th cyliner at the front or back of the engine?

OCMI_Teddy said:
IThe engine starts up and idles REALLY rough and smokes from the front 2 cylinders.
what do you mean it smokes from the cyl?
Did you disco battery and reset ecu?
All your vac lines are hooked up?

Is there any water built up on the manifold or elsewhere, I remember a couple years ago cleaning under the hood and forgetting about a pocket of water that built up on the manifold, making smoking and a putrid smell. Just a thought. Are there any problems when you give it a rev or anything?

I just checked an there is a water/a liquid build up around the headers. The #6 is definantly not fireing as the #6 exhaust manifold tube is not hot. I'm trying to connect the #6 injector. My intake manifold came with injectors and a fuel rail so I'm using the 99 injectors and ground down the spikes and used the zipties as perscribed by gojeep's write-up.

Also no problems with reving just sounds funny, most likly due to only 5 cilenders firing though.

Thatd be it, and the smoking and smell from the burning liquid. Just get that last cylinder firing and let us know how much of a difference you feel. Good luck.

It will be the plugs not working well enough with the later injectors. Move them around while the engine is running to make it come good. If you cant, fit some later plugs or put back your old injectors.

Today I'm heading back there to put back my old injectors in. Do I just have to unbolt the fuel rail then tug at it untill the injectors come out? And tips to changing them? Thanks guys.

Thats all there is really to it. Carefully check the O rings and maybe lubricate them to help them seal before putting them back in. Really a good idea to change them and many say they wont seal once pulled if old. There should be two different colored ones in the kit too. Dont mix them up.

Thanks for your help guys!

Back