• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Total Brain Fart

XJadam

NAXJA Forum User
I finally need to replace one of my headlights. The problem is that the last lamp blew out over seven years ago. Yes, that is correct. I last replaced a head lamp seven years ago. I cannot, for the life of me, remember how the hell I did it. It is driving me absolutly, completely and totally insane!!!!!!!! I think I need to take off the grill but I am not sure. I kinda sorta almost remember removing a part of the front head light assembly and then I think, no I just pushed it over.

aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!! I feel like such an idiot!

Help! :dunce:

What you do is go to the hedlight bezel, which is the plastic part around the healdight and blinker. (http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f251/begster/PC120112-2.jpg) I saw you have a '99 in your profile. there will be two philips screws, unscrew them first (red circles). You will then see a metal piece around the headlight with 4 philips screws (yellow circles) Unscrew them and then unplug the harness, and then reverse.

Last edited:
One additional hint, if you're in the rust belt. It's not always easy or even possible to get all four screws off the retaining ring. If absolutely necessary, you can get away with doing only the top or bottom two, and carefully bending the ring down to remove the sealed beam. Usually the top two come out easier than the bottom two.

Back