• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 H&T advice

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
so i've done my research (thanks again NAXJA), got my parts, tomorrow the fun begins. my weekend projects are always 2 weekends, 2 hours = 4 hours etc...:D just wondering if anyone has any last minute suggestions or advice before i begin.

Details
90 limited
242 trans
P.O.R.C. H&T kit
drive shaft adapter from NAPA
Extra front driveline re-jointed and ready to roll.

get you a paper thin cut off wheel and several good drill bits. You are going to want to start very small w/ a pilot hole and work your way up... You will never get it done by starting w/ the large bit.. just my 0.02

Gojeep said:
Have the engine running in reverse as well. I have all the hints you need on my site.
www.go.jeep-xj.info

WOW! thats a great write up. hadn't seen that one yet. good pic's also. Thanks man.

So should i be under the jeep when i put it in reverse? or should i put it in reverse first then get out and try and dive under while it's rolling down the driveway?:gee:

I wnet by GoJeeps method and worked great

Don't break the tap off like I did.

Drill the hole little deep, so if you do, you can drive the (hopefully small) piece of the tap into the end and still have enough threads to use a bolt. I lucked out on that one.

I just did exactly the same thing 90 ltd XJ with 242 except - I bought a spare 242 for $100 Can and put the sye on that one, now I will swap it in at the same time as I put in my long arms. I split the case, took out the shaft and had a shop machine it - cost was $40 Can and was worth every penny. I tried to cut it on my bandsaw and barely made a scratch in the hardened outer part.
reassembly was pretty straightforward with info found on the net.

Back