• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom switch panel going in 91 XJ Vent Location

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
So I am setting up for my lights/fans/locker switches.

I made a thread last night with some questions about wiring and it got me to thinking about where I wanted to mount my switches. Here is what I've come up with, its a work in progress, but it should look really good all finished up.

I am gonna cut the center of the vent out and secure this plate to it. The plate is blue because it has a plastic overlay on it to protect the brushed finish (it peels off when I am done screwing with it)

What ya think?

sw3.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw1.jpg

Couple questions:
I rarely use the dash vents, but if in the occasion that I do, is the amount of heat it puts out going to have a bad effect on my switches?

If I do need to block that out, can I just flip the big flapper door that is behind it up and secure it closed somehow?

Not the ideal situation, but generally switches should more than be able to handle the heat.

As for the flap, I think you may be able to just disengage it from the vaccum actuator next to the gas pedal/lower vent.

Do you have enough side-to-side clearance on that panel for those switches?

Here's more on this.

I ended up cutting the center of my vent out, and using a plastic epoxy to hold the plate on. Then I just used a couple screws to put the former vent back into place.

tsf004.jpg

tsf003.jpg

tsf002.jpg

tsf001.jpg

switch.jpg

Now I need to buy a few more switches. I still need one for a compressor, my front locker (the real contura that came with it was too tall), and a switch probably for a cop light bar.

Nice work! I really like that idea.

a cop light bar? you think that'll keep you from getting pulled over?

i remember about 10 years ago there was a lightbar sold in the classifieds in the back of FWOR and Fourwheeler. it seemed like a good idea, 360° of light! i tried looking for it recently, but they are either hidden well out of sight or out of business.

in my search i did come across a lot of police lightbars. i noticed in the gall's catalog you could pretty much just buy that kind of thing and order clear lenses. serves the same purpose but i am guessing the true police issue stuff is more expensive than the product i was actually looking for.

texinteg said:
I like the labeled Switches Where do you find those at?

www.4x4mods.com

PapaPump said:
a cop light bar? you think that'll keep you from getting pulled over?

i remember about 10 years ago there was a lightbar sold in the classifieds in the back of FWOR and Fourwheeler. it seemed like a good idea, 360° of light! i tried looking for it recently, but they are either hidden well out of sight or out of business.

in my search i did come across a lot of police lightbars. i noticed in the gall's catalog you could pretty much just buy that kind of thing and order clear lenses. serves the same purpose but i am guessing the true police issue stuff is more expensive than the product i was actually looking for.

Actually, I have alot less lame reason for doing it. I am getting involved with the sweep and recovery teams that run the (formerly SCCA) rally events in the NW, the lightbars we use are donated from the state patrol, and the blues are removed. I'll only have it installed during events.

Where did you get the brushed metal from or did you cut it your self? I tried doing the entire brushed alum. dash inlays but didnt get the one for the vent done. My switch panel is where the clock would be but I used walmart switches so it didnt come out nearly as nice as yours. Nice work

Mutant_Xj said:
Where did you get the brushed metal from or did you cut it your self? I tried doing the entire brushed alum. dash inlays but didnt get the one for the vent done. My switch panel is where the clock would be but I used walmart switches so it didnt come out nearly as nice as yours. Nice work

I made that piece, we had some scrap pieces of brushed laying around, so I cut it to size and punched some holes.

Looks nice! I did the same thing in my 01 xj but my switch panal doubles as a driver side "oh shit" handle. I like the labled switches, it makes it look better then the toggle switches that I used.

I just thought I would add a little more to this thread. I finished installing WheelinJR's switch panel into my '94 not too long ago, and I just thought I would post some pics of my install.

I also built a relay box with the help of FitchVA's write-up (http://fitchva.com/jeep/?page_id=34). I didnt want to mount it in the back, because of all the wiring, so I found a place under the hood. I know it's not ideal, but so far so good.

Switchpanel-small.jpg

Relaybox-small.jpg

Back