• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clanking at slow speeds

denver_dave

NAXJA Forum User
at slower speeds such as in parking lots and speeds up to 45 or so , I hear a clanking sound coming from the front drivers side, seems to be in sync with the spinning of the wheels, not so noticeable at higher speeds, also when I hit the brakes, the sound stops, but picks back up again when I let back off the brakes. any ideas?

Sounds to me like your axle shaft u-joint. Could be that or your driveshaft u-joints. Typically when they go bad they start clicking...
Mitch

Had a similar situation a few months ago...
Replaced all u-joints on front & rear drive shafts and it went away.
I think that you can test it by having the rig in park (ignition off) and moving turning the drive shafts by hand. If they make noise, then the u-joints probably need to be replaced.

bad hub maybe. time to jack up the front end and see if there is play or wobble on that tire. hold tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and rock it back and forth.

could also be bad ball joint.

Back