• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying trail lights tomorrow, 5 differnt options, what do you like?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Making a custom light rack. The lights will be mounted to the bottom side of the rack (mounted up-side-down) to keep from being torn off from tree limbs.

I also have fabbed up a metal grille that will be welded to the rack at a 45 degree angle from the roof line, to the top of the light bar for added protection.

Now I just need to pick out my lights.

I have 54 inches to play with here.

Option 1:

7 of these lights 55w lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93904

Option 2:

6 of these 100w lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3029

Option 3:

10 of these Halogen lights.

Personal Favorite, Cheapest, matches body lines.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37349

Option 4:

10 of these H3 Halogen lights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47394

Option 5:

12 of these 85w Projector beams.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37537

This isnt a show rig, no major riding, just camping trips and exploring state game lands.

Last edited:
Your poor charging system :(

Buy quality lights. Lots of cheap lights will burn out before a couple of quality ones.

the first one's there are flood lights, I dont think they would provide very much light at any kind of distance.

the second one should work pretty good but the plastic grille looks pretty cheesy

the third sholud work pretty good and would not look too bad on the jeep.

the fourth will most likley produce the most useable light

the fifth just look plain gay, they belong an a honda civic with a park bench for a wing

I have 5 6" round 100watt one's like #4 and they are way too bright. 3 100watters would be more than enough, with 3 I can light up an area 300+ feet away as bright as daylight

6 100 watt lights will draw about 60 amps, so think about your alt, I dont know what it's output is but prolly around 90 amps

Last edited:
Its your Jeep, why are you asking us what to put on it, especially if in your post you list your personal favorite? Why not go with that one?

Because I was checking if anyone had any experience with any of these lights.

Im new to this whole off road thing. Im new to the whole AWD thing lol.

Making the jump from v8 swapped Rx7's to Jeeps has left my head spinning.

I would just buy #3 but I wasn't sure if going with the 100w option #2 would be better.

Last edited:
two 2s and a 4! oh and half of a three and 1/4 of a 5. :idea: :dunce:

Why do you think you need more than 6? :dunno:

I only plan on running 2 - 4 max. No where near 10-12.

Just curious.

Scott

This is my rig-

I'm running all PIAA lights. (not cheap I know) but it's done right. I have 660 watts of forward light, 220 watts on the sides and 110 for backup. I also have two red top batteries and a 120 amp alternator.
You are going to have to consider how much power you'll be sucking from that alternator.

A 55w H3 draws about 4.5 amps
An 85w H3 draws about 6.5 amps
A 100w H3 will cost you close to 8 amps

Add up the numbers and you'll see that you can quickly get into trouble.

7 of your 55s will be pulling 32 amps, 10 of them 45 amps and your 6 100 watters almost 50 amps! Any one of these options you better be running at least #10 wire (#8 for the 50 amp draw) and that's if they don't positively flatten your alternator.

The stock XJ alt is only 90 amps and keep in mind that is 90 amps at full tilt and COLD. At normal temps it's more like 80 max. At idle you're probably getting 45-50 amps and your jeep is using I'd estimate 15-20A just to run it, and more if it's dark, raining, or the A/C is on. (That little cab blower motor can draw up to 20 amps at it's highest setting!)

Now the lights on my bull bar are HID and they draw 3.5 amps each and they absolutely turn night into day. They're also $800 a pair. I'm guessing that would blow your budget. But if you CAN afford them, I'd highly recommend it. PIAA 610 fogs and 600 driving. Don't ever plan on using HID driving lights on public roads though. EVER! The fogs are acceptable if you aim them right, but only if it's needed.

ANyway if you want more info or details about my install just PM me and I'll be happy to tell you what I know. (I'm an electrician BTW) And now you can see why I am CNDLPWR!

Um ... i see alot of high number lights in there and thats sure is overkill.

I suggest you upgrade you headlights AND get some lights for up top.. some 55w 4 of em maybe.

go with 4 or maybe 6 [max] spaced a little and then you could just set them up there to get an idea..

ITS YOUR RIG get want you want BUT since you asked i wouldnt run more then 6 lights on my roof in any single direction [not exactly your question but].. also as mentioned above, running those lights WILL tax your electrical system.. look into some upgrades for you electrical system:
i suggest 5-90's battery cable upgrades... i have them and love them.. love a little strong wording yeah but hey.. its a jeep thing right...LOL

http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/electric.html

I've never had a set of Harbor Frieght lights last me longer than a month(had 4 sets now...all different models), nor have any of my friends around me. Most of them get moisture inside and simply crack the lenses from temperature change or vibration. I now have 2 KC 6x9's on top, hoping to add 3 more to give me a broader range of light. IMO, KC is a good deal, higher quality for not as much money as you'd think. Not nearly as much as PIAA's, which are great if you can afford them.

By far upgrading your head light harness, and adding quality Euro spec lenses will do so much more than that crap you're looking at. I bought lights for my rack, but never bothered put them up there after I added a set of Cibie lenses a 10awg harness, and 90/85w H4 bulbs. Not to mention you will be able to run them on the road.
If you really want to put lights up there get some ProComp lights. They are the best bang for your buck light I have ever used so far. (Better than those crappy Hella 500's too.) I would suggest getting a pair of driving for the long range, and a pair of fluted to widen the coverage.

I think you need to mount up one of these babies.

eric2.jpg

All the lights on this planet ain't going to get you unstuck in your favorite mudhole.............save your money for tires, a locker, a winch...etc.

I'll agree on the headlight thing too. The stock XJ headlights plain suck. I got some IPF MSR H4 housings and PIAA 60/55 extreme whites. Oh and the IPF wiring harness too. Now my headlights truly rock and they're all I ever need most of the time.

The IPF housings are no longer available but some E-code ones would work quite well and the harness made more difference than I would have expected. If you really want, you can make one of those too!

Back