• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine idle problems

bulldugg

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 4.0l w/ 213,000 haas started idleing eratically and will sometimes die at stops. where should I be looking?:dunno:

I've got three areas on my list:
1. fuel filter
2. injectors
3.electronics

I cleaned the throttle body.

any advice would be appreciated

I hate to say this, but do a search, you'll find all the information you need! Probably start by cleanig the IAC, check the TPS, grounds, vacuum leaks, etc. Do a search with these key words and you will find a solution! Good luck.

Three letter words do not work in the search engine. Sometimes you can find stuff like TPS with TPS* or use the words Throttle Postion Sensor. Also search words like "high low idle erratic". There is ton of detailed threads on your problem you can read with out waiting for direct replies to this thread.

Usual suspects are the TPS, IAC (Idle Air Controller), bad ground conections at the oil dip stick engine block for starters. TPS can be tested with Multi meter. IAC can be removed spray cleaned with solvent and relubed (with great care) and reinstalled.

Back