• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need tips on using a SWR meter

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a SWR meter from Radio Shack and I've read through it a couple of times, I think I've got the gist of what I'm supposed to do, but I've got a questions.

When using the meter does it matter how long the cable between the meter and the CB is? The Radio Shack meter did'nt come with a cable to connect it to the cb. All I have is another full length antenna cable laying around that I could connect it with. Or do I need to get a short jumper to go from the CB to the meter.

Also when I go to tune it, how far from everything should I be? Does it matter if I tune the thing in my garage or should I be in the middle of a field?
I used to be in military com. so I've got a small clue whats going on but All our radios used amps and the cable between the radio and antenna didn't matter!

Any other tips would be great!

I use a 3ft jumper on my meter. When you tune it, definetly go outside. The garage will effect it. I take mine to the local city park ans tuned.

Be out in the open with all the doors and the hatch closed. The lengtht of the jumper cable doesn't matter.

Go toi www.firestik.com and read the TECH section for all your answers.

Back