• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box upgrade???

Do you think the aftermarket boxes are worth the extra cash you got to pay for them.. I dont mind spending the money if its worth it.

I think so, but it depends what you want from your Jeep. One of the best around are the Lee boxes. They are turned down for a steering brace, ported, have three bearings, and a braced top cap. It's a sweet unit that needs an upgraded pump. It's a bit overboard for a lot of rigs, mine included.

I'll probably be getting a Howe ported pump to run with hydraulic assist for my TJ. If you want an easy, cheap replacement, you can run the Dakota box with your stock pump. A Wagoneer box is also a good option.

'99 Dakota or Durango box from a 4x4. I got mine for $70 shipped and did the homemade CROK style frame plate job while I had it off.
Still on jackstands, don't know how it will perform yet.

Gaius said:
I think so, but it depends what you want from your Jeep. One of the best around are the Lee boxes. They are turned down for a steering brace, ported, have three bearings, and a braced top cap. It's a sweet unit that needs an upgraded pump. It's a bit overboard for a lot of rigs, mine included.

I'll probably be getting a Howe ported pump to run with hydraulic assist for my TJ. If you want an easy, cheap replacement, you can run the Dakota box with your stock pump. A Wagoneer box is also a good option.
Thinking this maybe a upgrade I want to do also. If I remember right I think Richard {Goatman) has recommended and used them (Lee boxes).I think he said they were in Sunvalley California. Maybe somebody can confirm and offer a opinion.
Russ

Ok, its been awhile since I've read this board with any regularity, but I'm thinking of putting some money/effort back into the '97. It's amazing how much you forget after a while. First thing I'm going to need to address is my steering. I have the psuedo high-steer kit from rusty's on there right now (its beefy and replacing it is not an option), and with the orgs trackbar mount, the angles seem to be perfect. I'm still getting about 1-2 inches of play in my steering wheel before there is any effective response from the vehicle, and I'd like to lessen/eliminate it.

I also have the c-rok box brace and a 1" drop arm.

My questions to everyone here are...

1. I feel like I'm getting play in between the wheel and the steering box itself. Is this a symptom of a worn box?

2. If it isn't the box (there doesn't seem to be any significant play in the steering once you get to the drop arm), what do I need to look at? Is there something in the steering column I should check out?

3. Best place to get the Durango box? $$$-wise?

Sounds like a worn box. There is a little adjustment on it, but be careful, you can easily ruin your return-to-center by overtightening it.Also check youy steer shaft u-joint but this is very uncommon.

Autozone has the Durango boxes for like $185 plus core.

There are two sizes of Saginaw steering boxes that fit our rigs (and many, many others). We have the 800 with (I think) a 2.75" bore and then the 808 with a 3.175" bore. There are a number of stock applications for the bigger 808 box. The places that sell performance steering equipment will sell either of the two size boxes.

The steering boxes sold/and or rebuilt by Lee Mfg and AGR replace the bronze bushings on the sector shaft with bearings, which make them live longer with the hard use that we give them with large tires and rocks, and it eliminates potential deflection inside the box. I assume that PSC and Howe also use the bearings, but I haven't personally heard that.

If you later go to hydro assist, and have the big bore box, you definitely need a big volume pump or the steering response can be less than desired........according to the folks I've talked to at Lee, PSC, and AGR. They actually recommend the small bore box with hydro assist if it gets driven a lot on the street or on go fast stuff for better steering response. Also, if one of these companies modifies a steering box for hydro assist they open up ports and things on the inside to increase flow through the box to the cylinder.

I've always been happy with the aftermarket box (Lee Mfg) on the yellow XJ. I'm currently working through issues on the buggy that has a stock box that has been ported for assist......don't yet know exactly what the problem is. So, I guess I'd recommend going with an aftermarket steering box, you should be happy with it for a long time.

Back